Engine communication link error? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
KMG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Engine communication link error?

Anyone ever see this one? All I'm thinking is what the heck did I forget to hook up this time!?

Engine RPMs are displayed then 0 then displayed then zero.. when it does this it doesn't allow you to turn up the engine rpm. had an issue at 130pm then went away, combined for a couple hrs. hour ago dad said it was back.. now he's able to go again.

machine was out in the field and we got 2.5 inches of rain. thinking something got wet.. I started looking in areas with wiring that could potentially hold moisture. but she was running like a top when I left for my day job. Zeigler said there's a ecm that's in the engine bay, make sure that looks all hunky dory.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
I had something like that once, 2011 740 with a C9. I believe it was a battery cable that became loose. I would start there.

Ziegler and everyone else will tell you to check the main grounds on the machine as well. Not a bad idea. Not sure what machine you have, but likely has a ground cable under the cab, on the right side of the machine, of course by the battery, and also probably at the motor.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
KMG

ok I'll go through all the grounds again.. I was the one that posted the alternator thread couple weeks back.. so Lord knows I might have something else I'm missing..

2005 585R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Check both battery connections first.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
KMG

Been going back and forth with Ziegler service the last 3 days. Both combine techs at my location are on vacation..

Looks like it's the board. On the board, I believe it's the XM plug on the side front they told me to check volts at Prong F & G total volts should equal 5. I have 11 at G and 10 at F. So then I was instructed to unplug G on the back side XM cable. now check volts, it was unchanged. next unplug the A10 or cab module and check volts. now F was 7 and G 13 still not correct is the takeaway...

so he is quite certain it has to be the board.. I looked all over it 2 days ago for burnt spots.. nothing. I wonder if it ain't in the connector that's attached to the board.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did you get your issue figured out yet? I'm just having the same problem on a 2005 560,was intermittent last season and this season seams to be getting more consistent, worked fine for a full day and was parked for a week, next time starting it was back and now can't get it working again.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
KMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milligan View Post
Did you get your issue figured out yet? I'm just having the same problem on a 2005 560,was intermittent last season and this season seams to be getting more consistent, worked fine for a full day and was parked for a week, next time starting it was back and now can't get it working again.
yes... unfortunately it was the board.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
KMG

Try this from my previous post.

"Looks like it's the board. On the board, I believe it's the XM plug on the side front they told me to check volts at Prong F & G total volts should equal 5. I have 11 at G and 10 at F. So then I was instructed to unplug G on the back side XG cable. now check volts, it was unchanged. next unplug the A10 or cab module and check volts. now F was 7 and G 13 still not correct is the takeaway..."

we put the new board in checked the voltages and both prongs were 2.5 for a total of 5. Also we noticed when we would check the voltages at those 2 pins and ever so slightly wiggle the XG plug the voltages were all over the map. unplug the XG cable and just touch the pins on the board side of the plug (not the harness) voltages all over again.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine too took engine ecm to fix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page