Claas clean grain sprockets - The Combine Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Claas clean grain sprockets

Am I the only one fed up with clean grain sprockets? They aren't cheap and they don't seem to last. About 2300 engine hours on factory chain, although I have taken a few links out. I have been through the original and another top sprocket, and maybe three on the bottom.

It seems like they have two issues for me. Soft metal (might help the chain last a little longer, except when there isn't anything left of the sprocket..?) and the shape of the sprocket. I have heard they are rounded for high moisture material to not build up, as the rounded shape helps the material push around the sprocket instead of build up.

If they keep building them like this, at least offer a split sprocket to ease removal and installation, especially for the top. An aftermarket company was going to build a split sprocket, but their supplier kept building them wrong.

If I knew what I was doing, I would like to heat treat these two new sprockets before install.

Now the new chain I am installing appears to come from China, so I might have a new complaint next year! Nice Claas

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190824_193310.jpg (4.59 MB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20190824_193215.jpg (5.08 MB, 27 views)

Last edited by seedcleaner; 08-24-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
That seems pretty excessive! Are you maybe running the chain too tight? Growing too big of crops???!!

Dak likes this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Maybe you have too many links out of the chain causing more wear to the sprocket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:35 PM
John Force - Legend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
You could get another 200hrs from that used sprocket

Square box........
Round pizza.......
Triangle pieces....

Iam confused......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Holy good god how is that possible!
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 788 Post(s)
A worn chain it will eat up a sprocket in no time. Doesn’t matter what kind of chain it is. The links get to far apart and don’t drive on the right part anymore.

But that is one worn out sprocket that’s for sure.
Windmillfarms likes this.

Last edited by meskie; 08-25-2019 at 12:07 AM.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I think they could improve the life of the augers also. I hate it when the ends look good but the rest of the flighting looks like an old saw blade. I’m shure by the time you took a couple of links out the chain it was stretched enough to wear the sprockets faster than it would normally.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
wow
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedcleaner View Post
Am I the only one fed up with clean grain sprockets? They aren't cheap and they don't seem to last. About 2300 engine hours on factory chain, although I have taken a few links out. I have been through the original and another top sprocket, and maybe three on the bottom.

It seems like they have two issues for me. Soft metal (might help the chain last a little longer, except when there isn't anything left of the sprocket..?) and the shape of the sprocket. I have heard they are rounded for high moisture material to not build up, as the rounded shape helps the material push around the sprocket instead of build up.

If they keep building them like this, at least offer a split sprocket to ease removal and installation, especially for the top. An aftermarket company was going to build a split sprocket, but their supplier kept building them wrong.

If I knew what I was doing, I would like to heat treat these two new sprockets before install.

Now the new chain I am installing appears to come from China, so I might have a new complaint next year! Nice Claas[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/CombineForum_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
Look up general metal in Cleveland Ohio and give them a call. They’ve heat treated some things for me in the past and talked me out of doing a few things.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
A chain at best will last a 1000 hrs at best. Most are built with a half link you can remove once the chain becomes wore at about 500 hrs to be able to get tension again once you run out of adjustment. When you run out of adjustment after the half link is removed, buy a new chain and sprockets or create carnage like you see. I bet the tin where the grain slides up, and the chain rests on, is chewed bad at the start. That sprocket was trying to pull that wore out chain around and using the tin to pull it off the sprocket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page