Lexion 480 good and the bad - The Combine Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SouthernSK

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Lexion 480 good and the bad

Wondering what people's experiences with these machines have been. Currently run a 9610 and the price/claimed capacity might be worth considering changing. Dealer for both brands near by. Raise Wheat (80 bu)/Soybeans (40 bu). Other crops in the area that may or may never be in the rotation are barley (100 bu), dry beans (2500#), and sunflowers (2500#). Hemp is gaining publicity as well, but yields are unknown to me.

Last edited by morb1lee; 09-06-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
A 480 is a big machine for the money. They are not good in Hemp and I have no clue on the sunflowers. It would be good in the wheat and soybeans.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I ran a 480 for ten years. They are a good solid basic machine. In their day they were the cream of the crop and had awesome capacity. Time has changed and technology has progressed a long way. That being said the electrical side was very reliable and even if something goes down it wasn’t major. The returns was the only place that could use changing. In hard to thrash wheat if tough it could be plugged. Good machine for the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Very good machine overall. I put a sunnybrook cylinder in mine. Nice upgrade. Also upgraded to a Mav chopper.

Depending what size header you want to use, the unloading auger is hardly long enough for unloading on the go.
30' header is comfortable, 35 or 36' header doesn't leave any room for error.

For capacity of machine it could use a bigger grain tank. Does not take very long to fill 280 bushels in a good wheat crop.

Definitely a much bigger combine than a 9610 and also better in the grain loss department.

Make sure that you get rotor covers for the 480 in dry canola. Makes a huge difference. Have to put them in manually, not like the newer Lexions where they are electrically controlled.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
would you consider it a reliable machine or does it take a fair amount wrenching to keep running during season?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Not to many combines will be as simple and reliable as a 9610. There is a steep learning curve for the first few years how to maintain, service, and set them. The amount of wrenching will depend a lot on how well it was taken care of before you got it.
Transaxial likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Well said SSK! I ran a 480 for 11 years to 3100 hrs at the end and it was THE best and most reliable combine I ever owned bar none. Well maybe on par with a IH 914! Like any piece of equipment how it has been operated and maintained is a huge factor in how your experience will be. If it has been stored inside and regularly maintained you will probably be very happy with the machine. They are high capacity combines and have probably harvested 3 million bushels in 3000 engine hours so if nothing has been replaced expect a lot of worn out components. If those components have been regularly upgraded then it should work for you for many more years. Over 11 years my 480 cost me about $14/acre for owning and maintaining in heavy crops like 80-100 bu/ac wheat and 50-70 bu canola. It was in much better condition when I sold it than when I bought it so that cost per acre would trend down over the next 1000 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in