• 1 Post By victory
  • 1 Post By SouthernSK
  • 2 Post By seedcleaner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Mav chopper wider spread ideas.

What’s the best combination of knives - paddles - vanes ,for a 40 ft spread ? I saw seedcleaners post of the deeper vanes but wonder what else was changed ? This is on a 2014 760TT.

Last edited by 1934 a; 09-07-2019 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Not sure what kind of Mav chopper you have. On my 480 I do not have the tail board up all the way to spread 36'.
I just put the chopper on as it came from factory and adjust the tail board halves according to what header I have on i.e. doing swaths or straight cutting.
If I lift each side of the tail board to the highest setting it will spread over 40'.
Had the chopper for a number of years. It came with wing paddles on both outside edges. I believe there are also a few wing paddles scattered through the center section as well.
Can have a better look later if you want. Raining here now.

Transaxial likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
First remove the upper fingers at the rotor exit, on the sidewall. Next, make big long deep vanes on the tailboard I recommend stainless as it is smooth and strong. I am very happy with the spreading, except for sidewinds. This is on a narrowbody, so a wide body should spread even better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
What are you using for paddles?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
On our 590 and 595 we took out one of the cutting knives out in each pair of knives for the first 8-10 rows from the end and added a side wind blade. I hard surface the face of the wind blade so they last more than 2-300 hours. We can spread wheat straw a full 40 feet. I have also spent time to adjust the vanes in the field to give a even spread.
Transaxial likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:05 PM

Many hours ago, I replaced the factory knives with Redekop 650? knives. They are a grade above what was factory for our 2011 MAV.

At that time, I also put a bit larger wind blade on each end of the drum. They barely fit but are bigger than factory. I am not sure if they are necessary.

The best, but also final improvement I did was the stainless fins on the tailboard. Bigger in every direction and have a smoother, larger curve to the side. I did three on each outer side of the tailboard and left the inner fins alone.

I am not sure if all all of the above changes are necessary but IMO, the fins are needed for a good 40'.
grain guy and Transaxial like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedcleaner View Post
Many hours ago, I replaced the factory knives with Redekop 650? knives. They are a grade above what was factory for our 2011 MAV.

At that time, I also put a bit larger wind blade on each end of the drum. They barely fit but are bigger than factory. I am not sure if they are necessary.

The best, but also final improvement I did was the stainless fins on the tailboard. Bigger in every direction and have a smoother, larger curve to the side. I did three on each outer side of the tailboard and left the inner fins alone.

I am not sure if all all of the above changes are necessary but IMO, the fins are needed for a good 40'.
I think that Redekop knife is a 650 HC The C meaning carbide. They are a little longer and heavier than the stock Claas knife. It is the stock knife in those afermarket choppers like victory has on his 480 with the split adjustable tail board. Excellent chopper. At least better than the stock 500 series chopper.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Seedcleaner were did you source the larger stainless fins?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:59 AM

Made them. They are 10 or 12 inches tall, vary in length, and I don't recall what thickness, maybe around a 1/16th" or 14 gauge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page