585 Feeder chain jumps a cog, and continually plugging - The Combine Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
jvw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
585 Feeder chain jumps a cog, and continually plugging

Feeder house keeps plugging in heavy wet wheat, still green straw, and getting worse as the straw gets drier.

At first it would plug whenever crop was leaning(flat) towards the combine, and it went under and around the table auger (Claas F540 flex auger header) and made a lump. Stripper bars were set with a huge gap, set them tight, and eliminated the wrapping, and quit plugging for a while.

Then plugged on absolutely nothing, unable to reverse, just slipped the belt. Removed header and tried to reverse with a 5' bar in the feeder chain, it locked right up in each direction with a metallic clunk after only a couple inches of hard fought travel. Eventually broke it loose with the bar and cleaned it out.

Discovered that the backwards bolts were hitting the supports on the underside of the center floor of the feeder house. And hitting hard enough to stop the feeder chain in heavy going, damaging the bolts and the supports, and making lots of noise. Replaced them with shorter bolts( then just now I read on here that they are there on purpose to clean off the sprockets...).
Ran much better without plugging for a while, then started skipping the chain( far right). Under proper tension, then plugging. Lots of material under the top chain on the edges, not sure if it gets there from reversing or from feeding.

There are no guards at the edge of the feeder house entry to keep crop away from the edges, doesn't even look like there ever has been. The 8460's had sheet metal guards both sides and top. I read on here that there should be, or at least "triangles" welded in the bottom corners. Can someone clarify what those should look like, preferably with a picture?

If I add side guards, can I leave the backwards bolts out, or are they still required?

This has the poppet type of slip clutch. Do they wear, and can they be set tighter? Wondering if the clutch slips too easily, causing a minor plug, then when I reverse it, it backfeeds and gets material on top, leading to more troubles the next time, and the next time...

It usually takes multiple attempts back and forth to get the plug out, and sometimes removing the header.

Running very close to 100% engine power all the time. 2 to 4 km/hour, and as high as 2000 bushels per hour, now that I have all the kinks worked out in the rest of the machine, it is handling this tough straw no problem at those rates.

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.

Last edited by jvw; 10-19-2019 at 03:37 AM. Reason: To bold the main points, since the post was way too long to expect anyone to read it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
jvw

The sprockets look like new, chains are tight and even, had one slightly bent bar, and straightened it.
The far right chain, even in time, is 1/4" off of straight at the best of times, the sprocket appears to be slightly out of time with the rest. Are they keyed, or hex shaft? Can the shaft be twisted, or key fall out, feels very tight on the shaft.

Note that it must be jumping while reversing, judging by the direction it is off.

Can see where the ends of the bars have been banging on the top gussets a lot.

Someone on a NAT suggests blocking the front of the drum up into corn position, any logic to that?

The second from RHS chain is missing the white plastic block below the sprocket that keeps the chain from coming up too high before it reached the sprocket.

I like Don Boles advice from 2017:
Quote:
I believe it jumps when reversing.
So...never plug it!
I thought that is what I was trying to solve...

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.

Last edited by jvw; 10-19-2019 at 04:04 AM.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Sorry but I just lost another long post back to you on your 585. I will try again in the morning. I love this forum and the guys and exchange of info but this system is a total POS for posting. I lose at least 1/3 of my posts because it times out I think and if I forget to copy, poof and it is lost in cyberspace. Maybe I am missing something. I am slow at typing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
jvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transaxial View Post
Sorry but I just lost another long post back to you on your 585. I will try again in the morning. I love this forum and the guys and exchange of info but this system is a total POS for posting. I lose at least 1/3 of my posts because it times out I think and if I forget to copy, poof and it is lost in cyberspace. Maybe I am missing something. I am slow at typing.
Thanks for trying...

Have you tried the back button to see if you can retrieve your post?

I have trouble with that happening on my phone, but on computer I can wait for hours ( it seems) , and it still goes through, if it has been too many hours, I will copy and paste just in case.
Transaxial likes this.

post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Is it an hp feederhouse with the spring tension? I was told at a combine clinic to bolt the tensioner solid and have not had any issue with the chain jumping.
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Ok the feeder chain is too loose it’s bowing up enough that the bolts are catching and yes the long ones are there for a reason! They keep the sprockets clean so straw can’t build up and then jump a chain.

Next you need those side shields!!! There should be about a 3”x3” piece of square plate in the bottom corner of each side of the feeder house that more or less continues the stripper bar out so the sides of the chain can’t grab stuff.

That’s it!
SouthernSK likes this.
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
We bent and welded up side shields that bolt on. They have to stick out a bit on the bottom so the chain does not rub it. This is one problem we have never had yet.
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
Ok the feeder chain is too loose itís bowing up enough that the bolts are catching and yes the long ones are there for a reason! They keep the sprockets clean so straw canít build up and then jump a chain.

Next you need those side shields!!! There should be about a 3Ēx3Ē piece of square plate in the bottom corner of each side of the feeder house that more or less continues the stripper bar out so the sides of the chain canít grab stuff.

Thatís it!

I second this, Our 770 did not have the sideguards and in heavy crop, usuallly slugs made the chain jump forward one cog when it bounced down after installing the side guards it only happened once but that was after a rock went in and bent two slats.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
jvw

Yes, HP feeder house. spring tension, set to the indicator on the side by the spring.

What is meant by lock up the spring tension, just remove the spring and put a solid spacer in there, and tension it like the 8460's?

I built the 3 by 3 and added to the corners, will build the entire side shields if necessary or as a winter project.

fabricated a plastic spacer to replace the missing one by the sprocket, it definitely will keep the bolts further from the cross member.

Loosened all the bolts aligned the chains, now they run true.

Replaced the long bolts. Half way through I couldn't even turn the feeder chain with a 5 foot bar, they were working so hard clearing out the accumulated straw, so they do work, had to use the combine to clear the straw out first, then turned easily.

Going to go try it out.

post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Long bolts should be there. Sprockets are keyed on a hex shaft. They aren't budging. The crossmember that hits the bolts is a joke. I built a roller that nearly eliminates striking.

If a chain ever gets crooked, really, all slats need loosened when it is retimed. Run the chain slowly, then tighten all slats in their straight position.

You know the trick to jump a chain on a sprocket? Hold, tie, install something about the size of the tooth and slowly rotate chain around sprocket. This will jump one tooth. Sockets and other tools work well for this.

Chain misalignment on a Lexion is uncommon. You have a setup or other issue that needs to be dealt with IMO.

sasksodbuster likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page