590r report - Page 2 - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: 590r report

Thanks Tobaboy!

Somebody said earlyier here that those monsters need refilling of fuel during the day........... (too small of fuel tank) Any truth?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

It performed well in flax. People struggled if they dropped straw, it would wrap once it got to the back of the rotors. We ran the straw through our chopper, raised the stationary knives, put the chopper in slow speed, and took all of the deflectors off except two so that we could make a windrow for baling. We never had any problems with wrapping. I'm not sure why you have to run flax straw through the chopper on the 500 series rotaries, but it must have something to do with the paddle style rotors, we didn't have to do that with the 480. To tell you the truth I prefer to run it through the chopper, because it throws the straw down into the stubble, preventing it from blowing.

With regards to the fuel; definitely needs a bigger fuel tank, I knew there were some things I forgot to mention. We could safely run 11 hours, at 10 hours the <10% light would come on, but we could always run another hour no problem. The fuel tank is 210 us gal, not big enough for that machine, it needs to be in that 250-275gal range, then you could get a big day out of it 13-14hrs, without re-fueling, the 480 with its 175us gal tank is no better, 10-11 hours and we were re-fueling.

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Shoe loss was our only limiting factor. We only have two covers on each rotor and I believe the whole top of the rotors are also open grate (I will check tomorrow). You said you had four covers on each side?
We sometimes had a little rotor loss in wheat, and never any rotor loss in canola. The previous two years we were very impressed with the performance of the 480. The rotors and the shoe seemed well balanced. In very tough conditions rotor loss would be the limiting factor, and in high yielding canola engine power would limit us. This year we seldom ran at 100% power. I am definitely going to blank off more of the rotors for dry conditions next year.

Maybe we're crazy, but we change the rotor covers by going in through the access whole above the rotors. Being able to change them on the go would really be nice, but I can live with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

on a good day harvesting wheat how many acrees would you harvest? We are thinkin of getting 1 big machine to take off 5000acres.Will replace 2 ih's 1688 and a 2388.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 01:37 PM

Its hard to say, there are so many variables, field size, straw load, length of runs, graincart etc. For us we figure we could do 250 in wheat or canola in a big day. Our biggest day in canola was 240, we did that in 11hours, canola was running 38-40bus. Our biggest day in wheat was 235 in 11 hours. Normally we can get some 14 hour days, it just seemed that this year it never worked out, we were always getting rain that would shut us down. We'd get 200 acres done and then it would rain at 8-9 pm. Like I said above we averaged 20.5a/sep hour no cart, so if you take that times whatever you consider to be a big day, and then add 15-20% if you run a cart then you'll be pretty close.
The 590 would never replace 3 class sixes, not even close, but you should have no problem replacing two of them.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 01:40 PM

Victory,
Ya we had 4 on each side and the top is blanked off, we just dropped the rotor pan to change them, not a big job, just dirty. The top plates stayed in all the time as well as the front one on the bottom of each rotor.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 10:54 PM

I thought our rotor cages were all grate, but they are not. The outside part of each cage (from middle top down about 120 degrees) is solid. We only have 2 rotor covers on each, but the retaining rods will accommodate 4 on each side. I phoned today to get 2 more for each side. That should make the "8" in 480 mean something as opposed to my brother's 470 if it gets this dry again. At least my nephew had a big smile on his face for a while. He used just as much or more fuel than I did though. Thanks for the help, Tobaboy. I knew we needed more covers, but didn't realize it would be that easy. I bought the machine used and it only came with 2 covers on each side.

A neighbor of ours just bought a used 480 and he didn't even know you could get covers for the machines. Too bad for him harvest is already over. There's always next year.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 11:03 PM

Tobaboy,

How often did you replace the flighting on the rotors? Ours seems fairly worn down at the front of the rotors. How much of a "step" is there on the flighting when they are new? I imagine replacing them would speed up discharge of the MOG, or would it chew the straw up a lot more?

Thanks for any advice.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 08:17 AM

We never replaced the flighting on our rotors, nor did we ever touch our grates, but apparently you can switch the grates around when they get worn to improve separation. You can get a hold of a guy who goes by the nickname of FarmBuddy, he is an expert on lexions and pretty much any brand of combine for that matter, he would be able to advise you on whether you should replace your flighting or not. His e-mail is [email protected] If you are unable to get a hold of him then try tracking him down on the other combine site.

Did you remove your intensive threshing segments? Did you run in wheat with your de-awning plates in? Both of these only seem to make matters worse in dry conditions.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 09:18 AM

The wheat threshed quite easily, so we left the plates down. Do all lexions come with intensive threshing segments? I looked in the manual and then in the combine and couldn't find anything that resembled intensive threshing segments. Do you have yours in for wheat and out for canola? By the looks of it they mount between the APS and the concave. Please enlighten me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page