Macdon FD 75 issues. - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimeoperator View Post
Just had a new FD75 show up to the yard after many years with an FD70, and though the header looks good, albeit very similar to the outgoing model, I'm really disappointing with the cheap, flimsy, poor opening plastic end shields. I felt Macdon nailed it when they went to the shield that swung open on an arm and locked in place, and was quite solid and robust plastic. These new ones are super thin, flimsy, a pain to get on and off, reduce access to belt/gearbox. F'ing junk shields boys. This new one looks like a case of "How can we cut the mfg cost of the header without sacrificing header performance, but at the expense of customer ease of use all while selling the unit for more money?" Mission accomplished.
Actually you are bang on, macdon reps at farm shows have told me the higher told them to cut costs. I guess they accomplished this, but the shields are a pieces of you know what. If I'm spending close to $100,000 on a header I don't care if it's $500 more for a good shield.

Brent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow, I haven't come on here for awhile but we have had all these same problems with our fd's and it's really annoying going 3.5 mph using about 20% capacity. We parked one of our fd's and the dealer brought out a max flex for us to try and all I can say is wow! That is the head to have for peas until MD figures out these feeding issues. From what I can see they need to bring that auger out another 6 inches or so to grab the material or just do what claas did on their maxflows with just having an auger and no center draper. Until they figure out all these feeding issues it will be tough to update to new MD's.

post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
were is this flow needle located at ? is it on left side of adapter on the inside?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Do you have the Seed saver kit under the side canvases at the front, and a long flap that rides on the front top of the center canvas? I had the same problem in peas and mustard. They tried pressures and a center draper orbit motor. Also added extra fingers in the center auger. What finally fixed the problem was taking the small seed savers at the front of the side canvases and the long one at the front of the center canvas out. Ran good for two years like this. Then this year I put it in to try save lentils from getting tossed under the side drapers. As soon as I went through a heavy spot, the center draper jammed again
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate8120 View Post
were is this flow needle located at ? is it on left side of adapter on the inside?

I am having center canvas stalling issues on a FD75. Is the needle valve to turn located on the RHS of the Parker Block. Is it set with an allen head screw and locknut? That is the only adjustment I can see on that block. Looking at the other thread at the same time with regards to this same problem. A couple of questions. What is this needle valve adjusting the pressure between? The knife drive and center drive canvas or exactly what? The only other thing I haven't checked yet is the splines on the motor that maybe gone? I don't think my roller is turning inside the canvas - otherwise it would heat up and you could feel the heat - I feel nothing. Has the splines been a big issue on the hydraulic motor and do I have to change both the roller and the motor or just the motor?

I can always reverse it but won't go forward. I have never had issues before and now I am trying to figure it out yesterday and today. I saw an earlier post on this thread by Bussard saying they were coming out to change the pump on his unit? I think my header is a 2017 with a CA25 adapter.

Can it really be a weak pump or should I blame the orbit motor driving it? I cleaned everything off with a blow gun and I was able to go about 1/2 a mile before things started to block on the center canvas. I assume the oil was heating up and so conditions changed and oil is slipping by? The main pump is a Rexroth Bosch - looks like an expensive beast!

When it stalled, I turned off the side draper/pea auger control knob to off to test pump strength. (The theory was the flow could be used to go to center canvas if not being used by that circuit.) It made no difference and the center canvas remained stalled. The knife is always driving strong and never jams.

About the only thing the Manual says for troubleshooting and adjusting pressure is to "see your authorized dealer"! I turned the Allen head screw in a turn to see what happens and it didn't make a difference in my situation. So am I adjusting the right needle or do I need to back it out instead? I decided to give up for the day and look for answers here!

It is not What you know, it is WHO you know that counts! Currency is a UNIT of debt - not value!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RunninREDharD; 08-28-2019 at 01:21 AM.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 03:47 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Where was the relief valve you adjusted? On Rexroth block center Draper relief valve is on the bottom and side Draper is on RH side. I’ve had to turn my center up.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
The relief valve I adjusted was on the RHS of the Parker Valve Block (facing feederhouse LHS of machine). I don't see any other externally adjustments other than that one on the block. I assume they should be visible. I turned in the only adjustment on the Parker block. I am not sure if this adjustment is a "flow divider" between center draper and knife drives?

I am going to take off the draper motor. It sure sounds like the splines maybe stripped! It works and then doesn't work. Always can reverse though.

It is not What you know, it is WHO you know that counts! Currency is a UNIT of debt - not value!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Three possibilities come to mind for center draper stalling and working in reverse.

1. Mud/dirt/rocks under the canvas which bind. Drop down the door underneath and clean out. I assume that has been done,
2. Bearing is gone on either the drive roller or idler roller on center canvas. When cool they run for a while and when they get hot they drag and require so much pressure the relief valve trips.
3. Bad hyd motor on center draper.

I have had all 3 happen at different times that caused what you are experiencing with the center draper.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Another possibility is pea auger hyd motor bearing. We have seen were the bearings go out on pea auger motor and the balls get into the system and wipe out all 3 draper drive hyd motors
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Pull the center draper motor check the splines on the roller side. They strip out and will only pull in reverse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page