Did a demo with a 880cf today - Page 6 - The Combine Forum
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Senior Member
 
RunninREDharD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SW Saskatchewan
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
What year is your FD?
I run the wheels in position 3 from top, that includes wheels completely up as number 1, then 2, and in 3.
Set table angle for cut height, with my complete combine/faceplate angle setting/header, between B and C on the tilt cylinder scale, 1 to 2 on height scale, your setting may vary. Slightly.

I have the wheels in position 2 from top, cut angle A, header is 2014, never paid much attention to the scale from 1 to 4. I didn't realize that it is a height scale. It seemed to fluctuate a lot when I was doing lentils and everything was working fine in a squiggly contour mode. I was running a lot of the time at cut angle B. That was with wheels all the way off the ground though. However the minute I bring the header off the ground, put down the gauge wheels, I loose my squiggly contour header mode and it goes back to a header height percentage figure in my combine monitor. I could only ever get the contour mode to work (AAHC) to work when I am on the ground with the shoes.

That is why I finally had given up on it and just resorted back to percentage mode and mechanical adjustment (took it out of float mode as it seemed to screw everything up!). I do need to make some adjustments to my vertical springs as I never did do any sort of checks after changing from full flex to rigid mode. I was trying to get as much durum done before the rain event. Header still works great and I love it. I really appreciate the advice on setting the canvas tighter under the front lip when doing the short crop of lentils! You explained very well and it is well documented. I don't think I am cutting much higher than 6-8" as it is a short crop. With my wheels set up that high position 2 from top, I am set fairly soft as I can see the springs on the gauge wheels change their compression while following the ground.


It is not What you know, it is WHO you know that counts! Currency is a UNIT of debt - not value!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Last edited by RunninREDharD; 09-08-2015 at 10:32 AM. Reason: clarity
RunninREDharD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 10:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: S. AB
Posts: 3,299
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
If you can't get it definitely try contacting MacDon if the dealer can't help make it work. Do post on how you make out with it. Hopefully good, dry, weather returns soon.

torriem is offline  
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 10:49 AM
HI!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Three Hills/Trochu, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,800
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4482 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninREDharD View Post
I have the wheels in position 2 from top, cut angle A, header is 2014, never paid much attention to the scale from 1 to 4. I didn't realize that it is a height scale. It seemed to fluctuate a lot when I was doing lentils and everything was working fine in a squiggly contour mode. I was running a lot of the time at cut angle B. That was with wheels all the way off the ground though. However the minute I bring the header off the ground, put down the gauge wheels, I loose my squiggly contour header mode and it goes back to a header height percentage figure in my combine monitor. I could only ever get the contour mode to work (AAHC) to work when I am on the ground with the shoes.

That is why I finally had given up on it and just resorted back to percentage mode and mechanical adjustment (took it out of float mode as it seemed to screw everything up!). I do need to make some adjustments to my vertical springs as I never did do any sort of checks after changing from full flex to rigid mode. I was trying to get as much durum done before the rain event. Header still works great and I love it. I really appreciate the advice on setting the canvas tighter under the front lip when doing the short crop of lentils! You explained very well and it is well documented. I don't think I am cutting much higher than 6-8" as it is a short crop. With my wheels set up that high position 2 from top, I am set fairly soft as I can see the springs on the gauge wheels change their compression while following the ground.
I beginning to suspect you never were using the float optimizer and instead running pressure float.
You can kinda get away with that on the ground not off ground and it's never any way to run a MacDon.

But I just don't know enough (read nothing) about CIH displays to help.

Wished you lived closer. Or owned a Claas.
RunninREDharD likes this.
Don Boles is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 10:52 AM
Senior Member
 
bigtimeoperator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SW Sask
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
What year is your FD?
I run the wheels in position 3 from top, that includes wheels completely up as number 1, then 2, and in 3.
Set table angle for cut height, with my complete combine/faceplate angle setting/header, between B and C on the tilt cylinder scale, 1 to 2 on height scale, your setting may vary. Slightly.
Don;

What stubble height range are you able to achieve with that setup? Are you only using knife angle to change the cut height? Does tilting your knife forward cause more down pressure on head which subsequently causes feeder to lift (with AHHC active)? Are you referring to the white float pressure gauge on the header that houses the AHHC as your 1-2 height scale? At these settings are you cutting wheat that is relatively uniform in height across the field or are the hills shorter/draws longer?

Our durum is down quite bad and find we are leaving anywhere from 2-6'' stubble. On Case combines, 2013 FD70/2014 FD75, I've just been running manual height, knife angle at A-A.5, gauge wheels at 2nd notch from top. Cutting this short and in manual in unrolled, hilly, rocky ground is very stressful, unnerving and takes the fun out of combining. I'm going to play with mine some more to see if I can get AHHC to achieve similar results to manual operation.
bigtimeoperator is offline  
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 11:40 AM
HI!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Three Hills/Trochu, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,800
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4482 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimeoperator View Post
Don;

What stubble height range are you able to achieve with that setup? Are you only using knife angle to change the cut height? Does tilting your knife forward cause more down pressure on head which subsequently causes feeder to lift (with AHHC active)? Are you referring to the white float pressure gauge on the header that houses the AHHC as your 1-2 height scale? At these settings are you cutting wheat that is relatively uniform in height across the field or are the hills shorter/draws longer?

Our durum is down quite bad and find we are leaving anywhere from 2-6'' stubble. On Case combines, 2013 FD70/2014 FD75, I've just been running manual height, knife angle at A-A.5, gauge wheels at 2nd notch from top. Cutting this short and in manual in unrolled, hilly, rocky ground is very stressful, unnerving and takes the fun out of combining. I'm going to play with mine some more to see if I can get AHHC to achieve similar results to manual operation.
You'll have to bear with me, in order to answer properly and completely I have to teach you some Claas tricks.
I can cut higher than I want to in any crop to answer your questions in order.
I'm never back to "A" on tilt scale that would be over a foot high. Oh oh, did I say foot? 305 mm. End of metric jokes.
But...my combine also has a hydraulic feeder faceplate and Claas changed the scale and operation in software this year and it's about a 100 times better setup than last year. Big deal, it was ....... awful last year!
Easier to play with you see, so the -10 to +10, the zero in the middle normal angle, it sets in 1 number increments, -10 steepest.
I found in my research by setting it at the flatter at +5 the header knife is flatter and even on ground the points are slightly up, this can help with less knife damage in rocks.
By the way, hydraulic faceplate is also a great tool for getting over bridges and fences, with the reel down in lowest position it's above the cab with scale at +10 and header all the way up.
MD tilt cylinder position steepest (D) with combine at +5 shaves as low I've wanted so far, dialing in a Claas steeper angle is a literal 2 second on the go job if I ever needed it for lodged stuff.

Yes, this setup it is quite uniform, I don't change settings wheels up or down and it's set pretty light.
If I was in hillier conditions I'd have to back main spring float off a bit but so far ok.

I hear ya, not having AAHC or auto steer is quitting material, if both lost I'm otta here! That would be my employee voice, not my crop owner voice.

WHEN you get it setup right it won't similar to you running it, it will be far better and no comparison less stressful!


Good luck, I hate to see people struggle with this stuff when I know how well it can work.
I don't think without being there I can be anymore help.

This thread is wildly off track but I can't figure out how to split it off.

Last edited by Don Boles; 09-08-2015 at 01:39 PM. Reason: SP
Don Boles is offline  
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 09:26 AM
Senior Member
 
woodytr99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Carlyle,sk
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Some of you guys that demoed these headers last year did any of you purchase any. It seems to me that their popularity and resale value kinda sucks What are the issues with these headers. I'm looking at a header upgrade and you can pick up one of these pretty reasonable now. Some are starting to show up at auctions too.

Couple of my favorite quotes.

" Bigger isn't better. Better is better"
" Working towards a sustainable future in agriculture "
woodytr99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome