Which cross auger? - The Combine Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2878 Post(s)
Which cross auger?

Having run cross augers this past year on FD75's and seeing the benefit in straight cutting canola I am wanting now to put one on the swather. I am growing L140P and cutting it fairly ripe and it would not flow through the opening unless it had a dew on it or was outright raining.

So I have narrowed it down to a kit between either M&R Machines in Weyburn, SK or Ag-Shield in Benito, MB. Both would likely do the job but the sales pitch was pretty convincing for the Ag-Shield cross auger. It does carry an almost $2000 premium to the price but if it is as good as they claim it would have a payback for sure.

So has anybody run either of these cross auger kits on a swather in RIPE canola and can share on this? If you have experience with both then I really want to hear what you think! TIA

I have no website for the M&R guys but here is a video of the Ag-Shield setup.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
I have no first hand experience running a cross auger on a swather..... But..... I did buy a "used" one this year for one of my combine headers. The auger I bought was used on a swather in canola for less than an hour, they were hoping it would help feed the canola to the middle on a 40' header. After the first hour it was taken off as the canola just wanted to wrap on the auger. Good for me I guess!

Myles
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 08:01 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4673 Post(s)
What header?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
I know nothing of the M&R but my harvesters liked the ag shield because it went further out to the ends, they have 4 ag shields and 2 Macdons on thier FD75's

Should also say that crop deviders like they have on in that video make a huge difference also so if ya don't have them it may be something to consider while your spending money

Last edited by SWFarmService; 12-04-2015 at 09:10 PM.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 725 Post(s)
I've got a cross auger on my 40ft MacDon swather, you have to pull off the centre paddles but otherwise it works very well. You can adjust the speed from the cab and running it too fast would make it wrap.

As a farmer, you learn quick: “You don’t get anything that you don’t work hard for”
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 11:52 PM
bud

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Dont waste your time on the cross auger. Does nothing for ripe canola. Works ok in heavier canola with more pliable stems.

Why not just straight cut it if you are swathing it that ripe any way? Testing showed minimal losses if left standing ripe for a month.
BrianTee likes this.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2878 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Hildebrand View Post
I've got a cross auger on my 40ft MacDon swather, you have to pull off the centre paddles but otherwise it works very well. You can adjust the speed from the cab and running it too fast would make it wrap.
Then it would match the stupid split reel that MacDon has which wrapped about a thousand times with canola last year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud View Post
Dont waste your time on the cross auger. Does nothing for ripe canola. Works ok in heavier canola with more pliable stems.

Why not just straight cut it if you are swathing it that ripe any way? Testing showed minimal losses if left standing ripe for a month.
Which one did you use?

Reason I want to swath is that the stuff I swathed ripe yielded the same as the stuff that I straight cut and we were going 2mph faster with the combines. Also the straw and chaff was chopped way better and spread more evenly after the swather. I am assuming way less fuel burnt too. Plus, it keeps my combine guys happier.
ssfield and chance2 like this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 11:27 AM
HI!

Quoted: 4673 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Then it would match the stupid split reel that MacDon has which wrapped about a thousand times with canola last year!

Reason I want to swath is that the stuff I swathed ripe yielded the same as the stuff that I straight cut and we were going 2mph faster with the combines. Also the straw and chaff was chopped way better and spread more evenly after the swather. I am assuming way less fuel burnt too. Plus, it keeps my combine guys happier.
I NEVER had my reel wrap in the center last year but the upper cross and feed auger would be keeping it away from the arm I guess.

Surprised your 9090's do any different job regardless straw conditions, which chopper?

Way less fuel? Well, my swather runs neither for free nor without fuel, if your's do you should definitely swath.
BrianTee likes this.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 725 Post(s)
I had some canola pile up in the middle but rarely that it ever affected feeding, thats just the way it was until I pulled it off at the end of my shift. Once you wrap it a few times you learn how to run your reel higher which usually makes a better swath anyways.

I swathed some really ripe canola in the rain and even with the cross auger it was really bunchy. The Ag shield cross auger looks better than the Macdon version because of the stripper bar, MD needs that badly.

As a farmer, you learn quick: “You don’t get anything that you don’t work hard for”

Last edited by Jason Hildebrand; 12-05-2015 at 11:30 AM.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2498 Post(s)
Swathing ripe canola, cost of the machine, diesel, operator, time you could be combining, header loss, going slower then a combine - doesn't seem to financially outweigh straight cutting it faster with no loss - at the cost of residue spreading. Since its ripe anyways!

Why do you wait till its too ripe? Is this common yearly practice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page