Macdon FD 75 questions - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2878 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little guy View Post
I've been looking at buying fd 75 macdon headers and have several questions. We have a 760 and a 570.... we grow soybeans, wheat, barely, oats, and canola. And our land is flat.

Is the cross auger a must have in strait cutting canola?
Is a double knife that much better or even neccary?
Is 40 ft the preferred width?

Also wondering if anyone has a damaged fd 75 I could repair...?. it seems like they are a write off as soon as something big is bent slightly or if a welder is needed on them
Yes, yes and yes.

There is a colony by here that has the equipment to straighten them.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I will agree with most everything everyone has said.

Get a double knife and upper cross auger. 40' is the most popular.

As for the cross auger always turning, tie the two hoses powering the motor together with a valve, open to bypass closed to run cross auger. Don't know why MacDon overlook that, and continues too.

Neil
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 08:03 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4673 Post(s)
I hear you guys on the valve, this was the first year I ran it all the time though, even wheat would have hung up on a non-turning auger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Thanks for all the information!

If anyone runs across someone with a damaged fd75 waiting to be auctioned off or whatever, can you let me know?

A little imagination and some hard work can fix almost anything
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Do these flex headers, really follow the ground that close, even in really hilly land? Would they pick up downed barley, wheat etc...I was looking at 30ft not 40ft...lol. Not meaning to butt in on your thread.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little guy View Post
Thanks for all the information!

If anyone runs across someone with a damaged fd75 waiting to be auctioned off or whatever, can you let me know?

A little imagination and some hard work can fix almost anything
Watch SGI salvage for headers. Have seen quite a few insurance wrecks on there over the past few years.

https://www.sgi.sk.ca/salvage_bid/index.html

Neil
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustard View Post
We have a 40 ft fd75 and amazing cutting lentils lower than your ankle bone, cruising thru wheat and flax at 6mph+.
Only think I need to change is a Valve on cross auger to Shut it off as it Runs Continuously which is strange as never needed it.(honeybee had a valve Years ago. oh well)
Mine is only Driven by pto on one end only So I guess single Knife drive?
Still Cut Flax very well
Everything on the MacDon is hydraulically driven except the drum in the header adapter. If you have one hydraulic motor on the left side only behind the big main beam, then it's single knife drive. If it's dual, it will have another hydraulic motor mounted to the right divider. Inside the side panels belts drive the wobble boxes from the motors.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio View Post
Do these flex headers, really follow the ground that close, even in really hilly land? Would they pick up downed barley, wheat etc...I was looking at 30ft not 40ft...lol. Not meaning to butt in on your thread.
I feel we have some really hilly parts of fields, but I never know what other people feel is really hilly. That being said, I think the MacDon flexdrapers are the best for hilly land. The flexibly header is a better design than the flexible cutterbar for these situations, in my opinion. On sharp ridges our 40' header usually is able to fold over the hill and cut everything cleanly. I feel the flexible cutterbar is better if you have lumpy or smaller, little ridges. For our land, I haven't come across anything that the flexible cutterbar will cut better than the flexible header, but I have plenty of situations where the flexible header shines.

As for picking up downed crops, these headers will pick up just about anything. We don't roll our cereal acres, so I would be concerned about rocks. However, if it is laying flat on the ground, you can still pick it up.

In the end, the only negative about a flexdraper is the price. I can't think of one thing that an auger head can do better.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Good to know ShinyNewFarmer. We do have some very large steep hills, so this is quite interesting to me. We do roll everything as there are rocks also. This has greatly helped over the years when swathing and combining.

I didn't realize that there were 2 different types of headers. A flexheader and a flexcutter. Does New Holland have a flexheader or flexcutter? Leaning that way due to lower dollars and we have a NH combine.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio View Post
Good to know ShinyNewFarmer. We do have some very large steep hills, so this is quite interesting to me. We do roll everything as there are rocks also. This has greatly helped over the years when swathing and combining.

I didn't realize that there were 2 different types of headers. A flexheader and a flexcutter. Does New Holland have a flexheader or flexcutter? Leaning that way due to lower dollars and we have a NH combine.
I am by no means expert on this subject, but here is what I know. The MacDon flexdraper is 3 rigid sections that hinge. For example, my 40' FD75 has a 14' section on either side, with a 12' section in the middle. Each section is a rigid bar, but they hinge where they connect to each adjacent section. As far as I know, every other flex header (draper or auger) is a rigid header with a flexible cutterbar. I used to be nervous about the rigid sections of a MacDon being a problem on our rocky, hilly land, but it has been a nonissue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page