05 9760 and 12 row chopping head - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
agb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smile 05 9760 and 12 row chopping head

We bought a 9760 last year but did corn with our old machine. Thinking about a 612c chopping head but heard of lots of problems with variable speed feeder house gear box. Is this due to going too fast or should I not consider the chopping head. Really don't want to burn that gear box up (looks expensive as ****).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Are you talking a stalkmaster head or just a 612C with knife rolls?

If you have the VS Hi Torque reverser with the cooler, you should probably be okay, just make sure to check the oil level regularly and change it if it shows any signs of wear.

"...Kansas wheat field farmer, let me thank you for your time, you work 40 hours a week for a living, just to send it on down the line.."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
agb

im talking about a chopping cornhead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It would probably come down to variances in varieties, moisture, travel speed, etc... if you ran the head as slow as possible all the time and didn't push it too hard I would suspect you could get by with it. I wouldn't want to push it too hard if the conditions were less than ideal or if you had the head running above 600

"...Kansas wheat field farmer, let me thank you for your time, you work 40 hours a week for a living, just to send it on down the line.."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 09:40 AM

I can tell you for sure you will have issues with the feeder house drive, you need to know what drive you accually have on the combine, there are three different drive systems, standard, Heavy duty and high torque, can the issue be fixed, yes. Direct drive solves the issue of belt slippage. When you put direct drive on your feeder house will run at 520rpm, you can resprocket the corn head to run the correct speed and everything works just fine. Always keep an eye on your reverser oil, like MR Ryan said if you see anything wrong with the oil CHANGE IT. The gearbox is a mear $4-5000 to repair or replace, so keep an eye on it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 04:54 PM

We ran a 8 row chopping head with the HD drive (not the new heavier one) and things could get hot in some varieties.
Knowing what I know now, I would add a second cooler ( cheap and easy) and add a temp sensor.
If you keep things cool it will live a long happy life. Trouble is you will bet into some conditions that will heat things up and cook things before you realize it.
The temp sensor will ensure you do not over do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page