Upgrading to M150/M155 - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker View Post
The M155 are known to be noisier than the M150. On the late M155 (2015 & 2016 models) they changed the cab mounting and added rubber isolation pads under the hydraulic valves which is supposed to help. There was a "Cab isolation kit" available to upgrade early M155 that were still under warranty if a sound test was done and sent to the factory, and the factory determined that the offending noise was of a frequency that the "kit" would fix. The "kit" is very expensive (over $2000 without the day of labour to install it), and includes different cab shocks, different shock mounts with additional rubber cushions, and isolation pads for under the hydraulic valves.
I finally had a chance to test our M155 for noise levels (using a stand-a-lone Extech 407738 sound level meter) after the "Cab Isolation Kit" was installed and compared it to the "Before Installation" levels.
BEFORE: 1800rpm was 69db 2000rpm was 66db 2300rpm was 69db
AFTER : 1800rpm was 61db 2000rpm was 61db 2300rpm was 64db

As noted a 5-8db reduction in noise is VERY noticeable. For me in our machine, even though the "before" readings at 1800rpm and 2300rpm were the same, the TYPE of noise at 1800 rpm was more annoying to me, and I never ran the machine at that speed because of it. Before testing, I used ISC (Intermediate Speed Control: which is Macdons' version of "Cruise Control") at the 2000 rpm speed, and the initial test results showed why I preferred that speed (it was quieter).

It should also be noted that even before the "Isolation Kit" was installed, the unit was not 'REALLY that loud. When you look at the Nebraska tractor tests, most of the later articulated 4wd tractors are in the mid-70s', with some of the front wheel assist tractors making it into the 60s. As I stated earlier though, sometimes the "sound levels" don't tell the whole story if the "type of sound" is not also taken into account.

I have never tested a M150, so I do not know what their readings would be, but I would call our M155 after the kit was installed to be VERY QUIET.

SWMan and bad altitude like this.

Last edited by rocker; 10-20-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 01:06 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4689 Post(s)
Quote:
I finally had a chance to test our M155 for noise levels (using a stand-a-lone Extech 407738 sound level meter) after the "Cab Isolation Kit" was installed and compared it to the "Before Installation" levels.
BEFORE: 1800rpm was 69db 2000rpm was 66db 2300rpm was 69db
AFTER : 1800rpm was 61db 2000rpm was 61db 2300rpm was 64db

As noted a 5-8db reduction in noise is VERY noticeable. For me in our machine, even though the "before" readings at 1800rpm and 2300rpm were the same, the TYPE of noise at 1800 rpm was more annoying to me, and I never ran the machine at that speed because of it. Before testing, I used ISC (Intermediate Speed Control: which is Macdons' version of "Cruise Control") at the 2000 rpm speed, and the initial test results showed why I preferred that speed (it was quieter).

It should also be noted that even before the "Isolation Kit" was installed, the unit was not 'REALLY that loud. When you look at the Nebraska tractor tests, most of the later articulated 4wd tractors are in the mid-70s', with some of the front wheel assist tractors making it into the 60s. As I stated earlier though, sometimes the "sound levels" don't tell the whole story if the "type of sound" is not also taken into account.

I have never tested a M150, so I do not know what their readings would be, but I would call our M155 after the kit was installed to be VERY QUIET.
Nice research, well done!

However, calling that a form of cruise control is quite a stretch, engine speed/noise reduction at best.

The first M200's with a, one second while I throw up, Cat engine, under tractor exhaust and small fan run at 1660 I think it was, was the quietest piece of farm equipment I have ever run.

Never heard (no, not deaf) of that kit before, interesting.
When they went to Cummins/large fan/vertical exhaust the noise skyrocketed on the M205.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
[Quote)
However, calling that a form of cruise control is quite a stretch, engine speed/noise reduction at best.

I was concerned that in our severe hills, running at a reduced engine speed would be harder on the hydrostatic drive (high load + reduced pump speed = more heat build up) but Macdon assured me with the type of pump used that would not be an issue, and that using ISC was not just electronically throttling back. When I used it set at 2000 rpm (it only has 3 choices of rpm) and watched it climbing very steep hills, engine rpm stayed constant (but the motor and hydros sounded like they were certainly "working"). When not using ISC in the hills, engine rpm drops. To me it is a form of cruise control, since as load increases, the pump opens up to keep rpm constant.
bad altitude likes this.

Last edited by rocker; 10-20-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 11:34 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4689 Post(s)
Quote:

I was concerned that in our severe hills, running at a reduced engine speed would be harder on the hydrostatic drive (high load + reduced pump speed = more heat build up) but Macdon assured me with the type of pump used that would not be an issue, and that using ISC was not just electronically throttling back. When I used it set at 2000 rpm (it only has 3 choices of rpm) and watched it climbing very steep hills, engine rpm stayed constant (but the motor and hydros sounded like they were certainly "working"). When not using ISC in the hills, engine rpm drops. To me it is a form of cruise control, since as load increases, the pump opens up to keep rpm constant.
Yes, it maintains component speeds but your definition of cruise and mine part there.
Cruise is ground speed to me even if it just means fixed, something MacDon does not do.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
The early version of the 200 used a 6.6 perkins in cat colors. It was a very quiet running motor. The Cummins definitely is louder in all models. I've had a couple swathers with noisy cabs and the insulation kit definitely helped. We've moved a lot of macdons over the years and some swathers run a little louder than others. As far as the initial question goes on this thread. If you you're going with 30ft single knife is good. If you're going 35ft I would recommend double knife. They only come in a timed knife. Single span or split reel is a whole other conversation. Single span is good but the last couple canola crops have wrecked havoc on control arms and the cam tracks where the split reel shines in the tangled and downed canola but we've had some issues with the phasing of the reel cylinders and the middle sagging and constantly wrapping in canola. We're still working on this. As far as the d50 or 60 goes buy the d60. The d50 was the economy model and had cheaper guards and reel teeth. The headers are basically the same just slightly different. The d60 also has double rib canvas so you could flip it around. For whatever reason the 50 or 60 headers didn't have the control arm problems or the phasing issue. At least not the ones we sold. Macdon premier westward, they're all the same. Cab suspension came in 2012. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page