Macdon pushing mud - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
This is how i set an fd70.
--Lock wings into rigid position. Raise and lower header to ensure they both lock in properly.
--Raise header 6" off ground
--Tilt header to B-1/2
--Put reel f/a to 5ish or about half way out
--measure and make sure the bolt length on the pair of springs are the same length
--Loosen locknuts and tighten springs evenly (count turns) (clockwise)until header just lifts on its own (washer will be loose under big nut on lockout bolt) i sometimes will lift header a little by hand and see if it settles or floats a little. When washer stays loose, loosen both spring bolts 2 turns each.(counterclockwise)
--repeat spring tightening procedure on other side.
Note: ive never tried an impact wrench on spring bolts, but would bet it wouldnt work because of the spring, springing. Use a wrench, or breaker bar.
After float is set, unlock wings to flex mode, remove plastic covers and set wing balance, use your wrench and try so set so you can smile and frown it with about the same force.
I usually run it for a bit and watch my wing indicators in the field, if one always tends to smile or frown, ill adjust a bit, usually doesnt take much adjustment to make a difference.

Hope this helps

torriem likes this.

Last edited by f_armer; 09-27-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
We use an impact wrench all the time on our header and it seems to work fine, despite the spring absorbing a bit of the blows.

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Barn
Thanks for all the replies, I seem to have gotten it to cut quite well now. All I did was give it about 10 turns on the wing flex to let each side sag about 3 inches. We have gotten rain 3 times since the first post and from dry spots to standing water it has been cutting well. Only thing that has stopped me is sprayer ruts taken perpendicular, but as long as I cut them at an angle it floats fine. My float Springs are off balance by about six threads I discovered, will fix that when I can but cuts fine as is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 11:30 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4586 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
We have gotten rain 3 times since the first post and from dry spots to standing water it has been cutting well.
Also known as too much time to tune equipment up.

Glad you got it mastered, here when we cut low we may pickup some of those sprayer ruts where heavy clay oozed up, if wet will stick to, well, everything, 4 times the other day we had to set the header off and clean this cross between baby **** and Velcro off the feeder and header.
The joys of wet harvesting in clay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page