51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4579 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSK View Post
On the FD1 besides removing the flighting and putting more fingers in have they done anything different in the center that would help the feeding compared to the fd75?
The feed auger runs faster and the UCA is modified.
Drapers run faster.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
It should, but it isn't...
Any header calibration should be able to be named and saved. For sure one of the dumbest things about the machine is the header calibration.
Agree!!
Whenever they do get around to header memory I hope they remember all the CAC settings for each header as well, the pickup and straight cut header are quite different in those settings.
Surely they’d include that?

I’m not sure. And stop calling me Shirley!

Transaxial likes this.
post #13 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
I see there's a fist full of Honeybee air-flex's in the RB sale. Just sayin. Don't all rush at once....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
Agree!!
Whenever they do get around to header memory I hope they remember all the CAC settings for each header as well, the pickup and straight cut header are quite different in those settings.
Surely they’d include that?

I’m not sure. And stop calling me Shirley!
I never did figure out how to name a Vario program to save it as a complete all function program. The ability to have a one touch button to change from say, standing canola to lodged canola, in one touch and about 2 seconds was a great feature. The program would change header height, reel height, reel speed, fore and aft setting to a predetermined value so fast that it was worth using while harvesting a crop that had lodged spots throughout. The Vario with the auto contour bands follows the ground very well up to maybe 4 to 5 mph and cuting down to 4 or 5 inch stubble height but I do not think it could match a MD flex when you get closer to the ground than that. The shears on each end worked extremely well for dividing a heavy and leaning or tangled mess of canola. It simply was all cut clean and therefore no hanging up and slowing down the flow in the full fingered auger. A couple of things on those shears that was a pain was that they stick out front so far ahead of the height controlled header that they would dig into the ground and bend the bottom of the little cutter bar. You may have to go to manual height when cutting around a ditch or drain. The other little thing is the hydraulic drive for the dividers has a cut out pressure and when you are cutting the outside round along bush, a twig bigger than 1/2 inch trips the cutout and your dividers stop. The good news is it resets when the header comes to a stop and you can usually back up the combine enough to get the twig out of the cutter and it starts up when you restart the header. I know you need a safety on the little knife and everything has a limit but it is a little trying when it stops the whole harvest process many times on an outside pass.
briandublanko and SWMan like this.
post #15 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transaxial View Post
I never did figure out how to name a Vario program to save it as a complete all function program. The ability to have a one touch button to change from say, standing canola to lodged canola, in one touch and about 2 seconds was a great feature. The program would change header height, reel height, reel speed, fore and aft setting to a predetermined value so fast that it was worth using while harvesting a crop that had lodged spots throughout. The Vario with the auto contour bands follows the ground very well up to maybe 4 to 5 mph and cuting down to 4 or 5 inch stubble height but I do not think it could match a MD flex when you get closer to the ground than that. The shears on each end worked extremely well for dividing a heavy and leaning or tangled mess of canola. It simply was all cut clean and therefore no hanging up and slowing down the flow in the full fingered auger. A couple of things on those shears that was a pain was that they stick out front so far ahead of the height controlled header that they would dig into the ground and bend the bottom of the little cutter bar. You may have to go to manual height when cutting around a ditch or drain. The other little thing is the hydraulic drive for the dividers has a cut out pressure and when you are cutting the outside round along bush, a twig bigger than 1/2 inch trips the cutout and your dividers stop. The good news is it resets when the header comes to a stop and you can usually back up the combine enough to get the twig out of the cutter and it starts up when you restart the header. I know you need a safety on the little knife and everything has a limit but it is a little trying when it stops the whole harvest process many times on an outside pass.
Agreed transaxial

Here is a little video i had done but not very clear with a vario picking up down canola thats only about 3 to 6 inches off the ground after a heavy early Oct snow storm. We had lifters on here to help lift the canola up. Canola was not cured out and still very green cutting. Canola tested around 12.5 % moisture but had lots of greens in it. It was a Brett Young Variety 60 76 CR. At the start of the video to the left you can see how high off the ground it was when were cutting it. Canola yield about 55 overall but in this video monitor is showing around 65 as this was just a heavier part of the field. This vid doesn't show the power limit being reached but a lot of times it was power limiting the harvest speed.

Transaxial and SWMan like this.

Lexion 590 2009
Maxflex header 1050 35 ft
Vario header 1050 35 ft
post #16 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Yeah not sure on the title.
Yeah the $5500 on a trailer is a pain, but it came at a significant discount to any draper header.
As far as the trailer goes I have used it here now for 5 years and honestly i like it better then the headers equip with a transport. With a trailer you drop unhook and tie down and your gone max 5 min when you get good at it but with a header with trans port you spend a fair bit of time converting it to trans port at least with me with the honeybee transport you need a good 20 min to half hour at my age. so maybe save the cost of the trans port option and used it towards a trailer. That's what i would do.
Transaxial and SWMan like this.

Lexion 590 2009
Maxflex header 1050 35 ft
Vario header 1050 35 ft
post #17 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
I'm in the process of sourcing a new combine and head for harvest next October, the options to suit our 12m tramline configuration are Macdon, Honeybee or Vario. The lowest to the ground crops we harvest are chickpeas and mung beans, the Macdon is my first choice but because it's 12.2m at the dividers it does come up a bit short in sorghum unless I make another type of divider to grab 100mm either side, honeybee is a touch wider and when we had the Grainbelts on the JD 9770's we had no drama, the Vario 1230 would be no dramas but being a conventional front I would probably need to add an AWS air bar. The ultimate would be the FD or the Airflex but I haven't seen an Airflex working and the jump from the knife to the draper looks a pain in short droughted crops (which we always seem to have plenty of here in OZ) What are your thoughts guys.
Cheers
post #18 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie.ltd. View Post
Macdon is my first choice but because it's 12.2m at the dividers it does come up a bit short in sorghum unless I make another type of divider to grab 100mm either side
What are your thoughts guys.
Mainly that I don’t understand why MacDon hasn’t increased actual cutting width to accommodate CTF.
Not doing CTF but even with just rolling hills and draws and even though using RTK GPS if I want to cut everything can I only run 11.8 with a 12.2 front.
I’m not even sure an exposed knife width 12.2 would collect all the crop even with the divider gather in my field conditions at 12.2 RTK GPS.

Years ago my friend Mike had a Agco front (a 5200?) on his Massey Ferguson header, a 35’, he tells me the even exposed knife width was more than that.
“Really” I asked?
Mike pulls out a tape measure, 35’ 8” exposed knife width PLUS divider gather!
MacDon would call that at least a 36’ front!

It doesn’t matter to me but I’m just surprised MacDon hasn’t tried to cater to the Australian CTF market better.
aussie.ltd. likes this.

Last edited by Don Boles; 11-24-2017 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Sp
post #19 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 11:42 AM
drp

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Isn't that is why they (MD) make a 13.7 (45')? Not ideal as you will slightly overload one side on each pass but it will cut your 12.2 swath. Dont think I've seen an oddball size header like a 41' or 42'. So either have to change the drill/planter to match your combine or vice versa.
post #20 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drp View Post
Isn't that is why they (MD) make a 13.7 (45')? Not ideal as you will slightly overload one side on each pass but it will cut your 12.2 swath. Dont think I've seen an oddball size header like a 41' or 42'. So either have to change the drill/planter to match your combine or vice versa.
I’m not thinking overkill nor oddball size simply “generous” sizing.
Kinda against some manufacturers religion I suppose.
I’d swag when Shelbourne Reynolds came out with the 42’ they had Australia in mind.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page