Flat cereal opinions. - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
[QUOTE=jvw;3276373]I may need to learn some lessons from you as to how you have so far managed to avoid flat crops in west central AB, since we are apparently neighbours. Where at NW of Red Deer are you, I'm more straight west, about as far as you would want to try grain farming.

Rimbey/Bentley area west. Most my experience is hour south of Calgary where I grew up, this is my second crop with the inlaws up there (I’m 43) 2016 only thing left was swathed canola when **** hit the fan (silage cereals for feed) Now I’m there trying to grow bread imputs and feed grains to maturity....There cereals safely in the pit for feed and mine flat on the ground now.
Thanks for everyone’s input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
we use 930 jd headers with dutch flat bar lifters every 12 inches and pickup reels.grew snowbird wheat several years ago and it was flat to the ground.these work very good and are east to install.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Had this happen last fall and a few fields this yr look like we will be swathing. Put lifters on my swather every ft and swathed right in front of the combines. Didnt leave any swaths lay overnight due to weather. With good lifters we were able to get 98% combined. Had some shatter loss from swathing but not bad compared to the alternative leaving it over winter. Was slow swathing but any rocks seemed to fall though the swath or didnt get picked by the swather. Felt it was quicker swathing than fighting with the straight cuts on the combine.
SouthernSK and radar like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
X2 on the Dutch crop lifters. I’ve run these on my Macdon swathers with D60 heads to pick up down cereals 3 times out of the last 4 years and they worked great. I own flex drapers now so I will try them first before using swathers with lifters. I see no reason why a D60 wouldn’t work on your combine. If you land roll your cereals I would almost think you could get it without lifters.

One big advantage to swathing down cereals ahead of the combine is that you can run you pickup higher and also lift over any piles to avoid rock or dirt ingestion. The disadvantage is the extra operator and time to swath. Good luck.
radar likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSK View Post
.... I would try to swath as much as you can. Then when combining conditions are good you will be able to combine a lot more hours in the day. When the sun goes down you will not be able to cut much if it is tough and on wet ground.
^
My thoughts exactly.
8700 and brazil08 like this.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags View Post
Wheat and bit of barley now flat with 8” wet snow the other day coupled with the 4” before that. This is new to me. Have harvested lots of flat peas HB 74C was the last one but many before that. Very painful and slow. Ran a friends FD70 in lite short peas and worked great. Demod a FD75 a full day in standing canola and worked great but doesn’t give me experience with situation now. That was in another life.
My situation now is a we have a old Macdon swather with a 960 header and a 740 new holland auger header which is a bull dozer unless your creaping along adjusting constantly picking off the ground. What % roughy will a D60 or 65 header pick up over what I have at hand? Thinking i may have to upgrade to get my feed wheat or ditch wheat and barley ... 25 or 30 foot. CX8080.
We used to have a premier swather with the 960 header 25 ft and this would cut very well with severely lodge flat grain. We did install poly skid plate on the bottom of the cutter bar to help with on the ground cutting and setup float spring for a lighter header setting also. as far as compared to a D60 header the D series header is diffentilly a better header but the 960 will do almost as good of a job with a skilled operator on it.
At the time my 75 year old father cut 700 acres of flat on the ground oats with it and did a tremendously good jog with it. Do not be afraid to try this first.

Lexion 590 2009
Maxflex header 1050 35 ft
Vario header 1050 35 ft
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Swather with Flexifloat lifters work excellent.
brazil08 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page