Drago Sunflower Kit - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Drago Sunflower Kit

I recently discovered that drago offers two different sunflower kits for their corn heads. The first is a stationary knife that can be added or removed easily but has high shatter loss for $180 a row, dont think this is an option for me. The next is a rotary spinning knife that can be added for $580 a row, im considering this one. I am wondering if anyone has used this kit? I need to know how long it takes to switch back and forth between corn and sunflowers with it as I tend to do this once or twice during fall harvest. I think it would be great to have one head for fall harvest and not have to worry about all the moving parts of my all crop heads, however I cant run it if its timely to switch back and forth or doesn't perform that well. Any info appreciated.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf img-X05113631-0001.pdf (106.8 KB, 19 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 Gleaner R75
1999 Gleaner R62

2011:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2674 Post(s)
How many sunnies are you trying to cut?
Assuming this is your first try at them?

Personally if I were you I would buy one row of the cheap one and build a set, there is nothing to them at all.

The problem with sunflowers and corn heads is the augers just are not big enough to feed them.

Best thing to do is go on the hunt for a deere all crop headed that's either in good shape or your willing to rebuild.

There is a thread somewhere on here asking the same questions about a geringhoff, I'll try to find it.

God Bless America
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:05 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Nah been growing them since 2011, have 900 this year. Currently run two 853A’s. They take a bit of maintenance but as long as they get it they do a good job. Was thinking it would be nice to keep the same head on the combine I use for corn though. Seems like I always run into wet sunflowers when I’m 30 miles from my corn head or vise versa, so can make things a bit confusing at times trying to get them swapped, also would sell one 853A and be one less thing to take up shed space and maintain, and the third and final reason is it gets old removing and putting back on my lateral tilt to go from one to the other. The cheaper kit is just a rigid blade, just pulls the head off and causes lots of shatter loss so I’d rather keep the all crop head than do that.

2003 Gleaner R75
1999 Gleaner R62

2011:

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhusker View Post
The cheaper kit is just a rigid blade, just pulls the head off and causes lots of shatter loss so I’d rather keep the all crop head than do that.
I know, bought one to make some but unless a guy has crap flowers there is no way the auger can handle it.

I have speeded up the augers on my 653's considerably and still the auger is my limiting factor.

The old Deere heads are about as good as it gets but they have to be well maintained, chains tightened regularly, gear clearance watched and the knives in good shape.
Often see guys trying to cut on maintenance and end up with endless problems. When one thing is out of whack it's like dominoes and becomes a game of whack a mole, fix one and 5 more pop up

God Bless America

Last edited by SWFarmService; 10-09-2018 at 01:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page