MacDon fd70 transport tongue replacement? - The Combine Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By NWsask

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
MacDon fd70 transport tongue replacement?

I have the macdon transport package. I usually remove the tongue when hooking up and leaving it in road ditch. It was laying in the field and I drove on it and smashed it. I have heard of these tongues failing during transport when stopping too fast, although i have gotten along ok.

I would like to use each end of the factory tongue, that didnt get hurt, and fix it with a one piece aluminum square tube tongue. Thoughts?

In other words, the front and back of tongue would be factory, welded to a one piece aluminum square tube mid section.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedcleaner View Post
I have the macdon transport package. I usually remove the tongue when hooking up and leaving it in road ditch. It was laying in the field and I drove on it and smashed it. I have heard of these tongues failing during transport when stopping too fast, although i have gotten along ok.

I would like to use each end of the factory tongue, that didnt get hurt, and fix it with a one piece aluminum square tube tongue. Thoughts?

In other words, the front and back of tongue would be factory, welded to a one piece aluminum square tube mid section.
Was the factory tongue aluminum? I assume it had to be in order to weld the factory ends onto a piece of alum square tube. I have never been around a header with the transport package, what I have seen on internet and heard guys talk about on here they seem to be a bit iffy going down the road and I read on a thread one time it takes about 30 mins to set up and another 30 mins to get back into combine mode. I always wondered why these are used in lieu of a header trailer? I can set my head on the trailer and hook trailer to combine in 10 mins if I want to hustle a little and I don't have to worry about going to fast or hitting a pot hole in the road or I can hook to pick up and pull it down the road 50 or more mph if you have the correct trailer and roads are good. Are the factory transport systems really cheap to buy and this is a reason to use one? Just curious why these are used.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
It would only take 30 minutes to put a macdon in transport if you have a 20 minute coffee break in the middle. With the factory transport you always have it with you.
RunninREDharD and shmiffy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
The entire tongue is made of light steel.

The factory transport system is not necessarily a cheap option I don't think, and it's not for high speeds at all. It's mainly just for towing it to and from the field with the combine, which is why the tongue is so long. They use the wheels that the header uses for guide wheels. I'm pretty sure our local dealer orders the slow speed transport kit for all their headers unless the customer tells them not to. I know for us it's a convenient option to have and saves us having to buy a header trailer that may or may not work for future headers.

Dropping the wheels to go to trailer mode takes a couple of minutes minutes. The idea is that you fold out the wheels, drop the header on its wheels, attach the tongue (which can be stowed in two parts on the header itself, but we never bother), back the combine up to it, hook up, and drive away (at 22 mph). Towing with a vehicle you really are limited to about 45-50 kph.

Last edited by torriem; 10-24-2018 at 11:41 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
What they said...

The factory tongue is a bit weak and it's a two piece. I would like a stronger, lighter, aluminum one piece.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Just cut out the bad section and slip in a steel square tube in each end. Plug weld it and weld the joints and you should be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page