FD70 Macdon not floating properly - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
FD70 Macdon not floating properly

Have a 2009 FD 70 not floating properly. Have changed vertical rods over to eyelets a couple years ago. Lately header wont sit right on adapter. When locked up it's level but when unlocked it sits uneven when you lower it and lift it back up. Right wing doesn't want to drop down sometimes when floating down the field. Acts like it has a catch in it. So I put new needle bearings in the bellcranks on both sides but that didn't help. Now am wondering if there is something else to check why it doesn't sit level on the adapter and why that wing acts like it has a catch in it when going down the field. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Have you called Macdon product support? They are fabulous at helping people solve these type of issues. They answer the phone anytime of day and it is free.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 10:38 AM

Location: North of west palm beach FL and where you all want to visit
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Have you checked your springs and how much weight they are holding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSK View Post
Have you called Macdon product support? They are fabulous at helping people solve these type of issues. They answer the phone anytime of day and it is free.
Wow! That would have been great to know when we were having hydraulic problems!

Nobody has actual product support any more. It should be the law!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
I had the same issue and it was the spring float being out. I got it pretty close but the issue with the FD70 is it’s really hard to check the spring tension because you can’t use the torque bar and checking with a fish scale isn’t that easy too.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

If the spring float is out of adjustment would I still be able to lock it up?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 12:46 PM

As in the wing lock or the sub frame lock?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Subframe lock. The ones that lock the adapter out of float. I can lock them easily. Today when I have been running it when that wing hesitates to go down when it does finally slam down I notice the feeder house moved down and triggers it to go down so now am wondering if the cables are sticking. They are only 2 seasons old. Could something else in that mechanism be sticking where them cables are attached ? Like mud or chaff stuck somewhere it's not supposed to be? Thanks
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
If the cables for height control work, the indicator will move appropriately. Stop and raise header, should go near 0, lower header slowly, should go toward 4.

Are all four small springs still attached and working? These small springs can break. They are the same springs as the auger hold down btw.

If you put the wrench on the wing mechanism, can you move it up and down freely?

I suggest watching a few youtube videos that explain MacDon settings. Also, toss the two upper covers off for the remainder of harvest to get a good visual on some of what is going on during terrain changes.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 11:02 PM

My issue was when we would lift the table up the header would actually go down on the one side. I could see from looking at the sub frame to the header that header was pulling to the left. When u raised the header all the way up with a lexion combine you could actually see the whole header shift to the left side. The right springs were tightened up way to much.

It seemed to work fine in flex mode but with the wheels down we had to run the wheels in different holes to compensate. Like by a few holes too. There is a difference in springs between the FD70 and 75. The Fd 75 that I have has a inside spring on the big coil springs on the right side of the sub frame which the 70 does not. I still want to make something that I will be able to check the sub frame tension on the 70 with the torque wrench as that was my trouble all a long.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page