FD140 PD setup - The Combine Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
rod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
FD140 PD setup

Can anyone advise me the exact & precise process for the adjustment of this section of the FD1.. please?
This is the RHS as it’s the easiest to take a picture of.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 37291508-834A-4383-9115-4B6A31D4488E.jpeg (1.12 MB, 376 views)

Last edited by rod; 11-06-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
rod

Who knows what the factory standard set length is - eye bolt hole to eye bolt hole - of the compression link on an FM100 float module?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FM100 Float Module linkage.jpg (92.5 KB, 321 views)
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 02:45 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4658 Post(s)
That turnbuckle/rod came not assembled Rod?
Not close enough to mine to measure it for you.
Can’t actully tell what I’m looking at in the pic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
That turnbuckle/rod came not assembled Rod?
Not close enough to mine to measure it for you.
Canít actully tell what Iím looking at in the pic?
Yes, it came all assembled ......... however, let's just say the people doing the pre-delivery have a very basic comprehension of a flex & how it all works.
The first picture is a little hard to see - merely because everything is black! - but the white line is a guide. From what I can work out, the oblong hole in the "bottom link" (6) has a measurement of 80mm from the top of the oblong hole to the top of a locating "hook" ( sorta looks like a hook). If you put your hand in there you'll see what I mean. The head has to be on the machine for this measurement but the compression link - eye bolt to eye bolt - measurement is a fixed number.
Appreciate if you can provide the measurement in metric.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 08:05 AM
HI!

Quoted: 4658 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod View Post
Appreciate if you can provide the measurement in metric.
There's another system?!
Can’t do it until next week though Rod, Canadian time.
Sorry.

This might be a good thread to post my setup procedure too Rod.
rod likes this.

Last edited by Don Boles; 11-07-2018 at 08:26 AM.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Pretty sure it is in the operators manual. But if not call the dealer and they can forward the pdf file with the instructions. I think that with the wings unlocked and in the balanced position the bottom black piece it to be within 1 cm of the white line that is painted on the header. Before adjusting that, make sure your wing balance is correct. I went through this during harvest. My header was way off adjustment and I was sure that the long vertical tubes with the eyelets were out of adjustment, but once I got the balance set correctly on the beam up top everything came into correct position.

Remember these headers have a break in period and after running for a few days they should be readjusted for float and balance. I found the little torque wrench that macdon supplies to be very poor. Just used a straight bar on my large socket set and quessed at the float from there. Make sure the header does not lift off the stops at the top of the feeder house lift or the main float springs are set too tight.

For the wing float, just jump on and off the wings and lift up and drop them and see that the beam type weigh scale comes back to the center every time. Adjust the vertical pipe left or right until the beam goes back to neutral. Don't bother using the supplied MacDon torque wrench for this, It just does not work good enough.

There is a built in weak link at the front of the header linkage that is designed to break and protect the header in a situation where the header hits something. If this link is broken it can affect the header balance. Sometimes a reckless guy towing the header to your property can damage this protection device.
torriem likes this.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 869 Post(s)
I can't find the dealer setup PDF for the FD1, but here's the document for the FD75: https://www.macdon.com/images/unload...A_214325_A.pdf

However, if I recall the setup document tells the dealer that those links are preset at the factory and there's really nothing MacDon tells the dealers to do with that particular link.

As Twix says, wing balance is set on the balance beam and the main springs.

Last edited by torriem; 11-07-2018 at 10:27 AM.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
Pretty sure it is in the operators manual. But if not call the dealer and they can forward the pdf file with the instructions.
No it's not in the OM. I'm trying to use diplomatic language here about the dealer & the PD. As such, me calling the dealer for the exact setup details & the factory specifications of the compression link length etc. etc. etc. is a tad optimistic! This would be more appropriate..... but I would just end up with a sore hand & stuffed shoulder!

[/QUOTE] I think that with the wings unlocked and in the balanced position the bottom black piece it to be within 1 cm of the white line that is painted on the header. Before adjusting that, make sure your wing balance is correct. I went through this during harvest. My header was way off adjustment and I was sure that the long vertical tubes with the eyelets were out of adjustment, but once I got the balance set correctly on the beam up top everything came into correct position. [/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree. However, the people doing the PD have nearly screwed everything that could be screwed - yep me too! - on this head without having a proper idea of what they're doing. So I need to go back to the factory settings as a starting point.

[/QUOTE]Remember these headers have a break in period and after running for a few days they should be readjusted for float and balance. I found the little torque wrench that macdon supplies to be very poor. Just used a straight bar on my large socket set and quessed at the float from there. Make sure the header does not lift off the stops at the top of the feeder house lift or the main float springs are set too tight.[/QUOTE]

You mean springs tight .... as in the head is too light?

[/QUOTE]For the wing float, just jump on and off the wings and lift up and drop them and see that the beam type weigh scale comes back to the center every time. Adjust the vertical pipe left or right until the beam goes back to neutral. Don't bother using the supplied MacDon torque wrench for this, It just does not work good enough.

There is a built in weak link at the front of the header linkage that is designed to break and protect the header in a situation where the header hits something. If this link is broken it can affect the header balance. Sometimes a reckless guy towing the header to your property can damage this protection device.[/QUOTE]

Hasn't hit anything yet. Well the header hasn't ...... but I might!
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by torriem View Post
I can't find the dealer setup PDF for the FD1, but here's the document for the FD75: https://www.macdon.com/images/unload...A_214325_A.pdf

However, if I recall the setup document tells the dealer that those links are preset at the factory and there's really nothing MacDon tells the dealers to do with that particular link.

As Twix says, wing balance is set on the balance beam and the main springs.
Thanks. I have the FD1 setup & have read it backwards & forwards - even before the head hit OZ ...... yeah OK, OCD I know - & it says nothing about the adjustment of these compression links. Talking to another MacDon dealer about this & he said there's no need to touch these links as they are pre-set from the factory. The float balance & wing balance is pretty easy to follow in the OP & easy to do on the head. However, it's now completely f...d up as they turned every adjusting rod/bolt/nut possible .......
If you hear in the news that some people in OZ have some protruding MacDon items poking out from all orifices ......... put two & two together!
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Oh gotcha! Nice of them to do that for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page