50ft Midwest front - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
50ft Midwest front

Has anyone ever ran a 50ft Midwest head/front before what are they like what are the pros an cons of one any information what be great I am looking at cutting back to 1 machine an running the biggest head/front possible

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
ive not used one, but i think they mount closer to the elevator somehow so there is slightly better vision, think they maybe a fraction heavier than similar configurations.

Also not sure if they have leaf springs on the guage wheel ie there solid.

not sure on your harvestor type but if you use field bins you may have to reverse into field bins when uloading to centre fill unless you have a very long unloading auger.

sorry didnt help much, were do you farm and what kinda harvest did you have in 2011 and plans for 2012.

im from south aust 2000 ha wheat 800 ha canola,300 vetch, and a few oats for hay and grain plus sown cereal for sheep feed another 300 ha

hoping for a "normal" year in 2012 if there is such a thing

Old 02-14-2012, 07:39 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4585 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Too bad bundybear isnt on this forum anymore(thanks to...),he could give lots of advice...
Yes, he was good at idea exchange.
Still fondly remember the pic of his girlfriend.
Oh, wait a minute.
Valentines day.
What pic?
Never did hear why he pulled the pin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I know a bit about them. I have a 42ft on a 9660 JD. Im pretty hooked on controlled traffic widths and believe that 50ft is a waste of time. My next front will be 40ft or if i went another midwest 41ft. Unless you have billiard table flat paddocks then 50ft is going to be a shovel. Unloading into mother bins or anything with the longest factory or modified auger what ever colour combine is hopeless and slow. Midwest pros very well built, solid, simple design, they weigh alot less than a jd 40, follow the ground well, the knife is easy to see from the cab. Cons cost, spare parts has been a problem (although that has improved) the drive belt on earlier models (mine) slips under load. The later toothed set up is better other than that they are pretty good.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 50ft midwest on an 8120. It is a pretty good front. I believe that it is around 750 kg lighter than a 45ft macdon. We have the cogged belt for the drive and it is a major improvement over the 4 ribbed v belt that they used to have (had a 36ft on 2388) I have harvested wheat 7t/ha down in 2010 with no major issues. I have a bat reel and use croplifters for down crops. We have 2x 4' 4" extensions on the 8120 and can reach into the middle of the chaser bin with 3ft to spare between the front and the bin tires. Feeds well into the machine. I have used a neighbours 8120 with a 40ft macdon beside our 8120 and there was no difference in capacity of the two machine. The 50ft was travelling about 9km/h and the 40ft 11-11.5km/h. The 50ft lets the knife cut better because of the slower speed.

Small time operator, the fronts have a macpherson strut on the guage wheels and the wheels pivot to the outside when turning around objects

Hope this helps you Buzz
Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in