Vario header in peas? - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2846 Post(s)
Rained an inch yesterday but the peas are still standing pretty decent, thinking the vario will still work. Working on header today and in picture there is light pressure on lifters and knife is 2.5" off ground. Hopefully auto-height will maintain this level. The two lifters are 2' apart but I have 40 lifters so could go every foot like aussie.ltd. suggests. Not hard to thin them out if it's too much I suppose.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190813_153720.jpg (424.6 KB, 74 views)

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Good luck!

Only straight cut canola with the loaner they left me last year and I figured it would be absolutely hopeless. The knife has no capacity at all to skid on the ground and would dig dirt if you just touched it.

If your tabletop flat and the the auto height brings the a game it could get the job done.

post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
Good luck!

Only straight cut canola with the loaner they left me last year and I figured it would be absolutely hopeless. The knife has no capacity at all to skid on the ground and would dig dirt if you just touched it.

If your tabletop flat and the the auto height brings the a game it could get the job done.
Field was rolled and we hadn't had any rain for a month before the inch yesterday. I don't see the ground pushing much. I bought shorter bolts for everything except where the lifters are going, I think the bolts and second nut hanging down contribute to the pushing.

Really interested to see what happens with this, might try later this week.

Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
I had a demo with a 1230 Vario a few years back in beans, for a non flex auger head I was very impressed with its ability in short crops, I’ll be very surprised if your not happy with what you can achieve with the Vario harvesting your peas
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:46 AM
Dak

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, had drought effected mungbeans here this last summer, harvest with my vario, the pods were no taller of ground than ur I phone!
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:53 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4659 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak View Post
the pods were no taller of ground than ur I phone!
With or without a cover?
aussie.ltd. likes this.
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:13 AM
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Really interested to see what happens with this, might try later this week.
Im going to guess you think an 8800 will be header limited in peas and canola with a MacDon?
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
Im going to guess you think an 8800 will be header limited in peas and canola with a MacDon?
My guess is yes. Apparently the Macdon is having fits feeding a 760 properly not far from here in peas. I think the side cutters will be part of the reason this will work so well.

Thanks for the positive reviews guys. I will post how this goes, hopefully in a few days.

In canola under ideal conditions you might get the 8800 to power limit with a FD140, but as noted last fall the Vario was doing more at 100% than the FD140 was...here. The Vario is unequaled in canola, I doubt even the Convio will be as good as the Vario in canola but it could be very close with the super large cross auger.

Orlando A. Battista
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:48 AM
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
My guess is yes. Apparently the Macdon is having fits feeding a 760 properly not far from here in peas. I think the side cutters will be part of the reason this will work so well.

Thanks for the positive reviews guys. I will post how this goes, hopefully in a few days.

In canola under ideal conditions you might get the 8800 to power limit with a FD140, but as noted last fall the Vario was doing more at 100% than the FD140 was...here. The Vario is unequaled in canola, I doubt even the Convio will be as good as the Vario in canola but it could be very close with the super large cross auger.
Splitting a pea crop is easy as rule, be surprised if that is the problem. The sort of stand may affect however.

Also doubt a Convio any different in pea feeding, the two being fundamentally similar.

Keep us apprised!

Oh, you’d love the controls now, you can program it to header pitch the faceplate or move vario knife and do it it right from hydro handle with a couple of buttons, really slick setup!

Last edited by Don Boles; 08-14-2019 at 10:16 AM.
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I have a 35' NH Varifeed header, which is very similar to your Vario (they are both rigid headers with full finger augers and extendable knife bars). I've cut peas with my Varifeed for two years now and I think it works great. My header has height sensors on it so it can do full AHHC, which is a must IMHO, but with that it does a great job of cutting low and getting all the pods. I'm super happy with it. In my area we grow winter peas, which may be taller than what's in your area though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page