Vario header in peas? - Page 5 - The Combine Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2848 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
So when you say you sold the air flex does that mean your going to put the cereals as well through the vario?

I was hoping to get a SWMan convio review this fall!
Oh yeah, did all the wheat/oats/canola last year with the Vario and it works great in cereals too.

I was hoping to give one, still mostly curious about how it does in canola and that won't be for a bit. Doesn't sound promising though.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:30 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4660 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
300 cylinder with 12MM clearance.
If your Vario header feeds as good as you claim ZAPS will allow engine power limit and/or over 150 feeder house depth down to less than 250 rpm, not that you’d ever likely need that low for grain quality. Just nice to know plugging of feeder or APS is much less likely and if APS does plug it seat unplugs much easier.

BTW, the feed roller spring is adjustable on the new feeder to allow deeper feeder depths in the taller feeder.

Last edited by Don Boles; 08-18-2019 at 10:45 PM.
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
If your Vario header feeds as good as you claim ZAPS will allow engine power limit and/or over 150 feeder house depth down to less than 250 rpm, not that you’d ever likely need that low for grain quality. Just nice to know plugging of feeder or APS is much less likely and if APS does plug it seat unplugs much easier.

BTW, the feed roller spring is adjustable on the new feeder to allow deeper feeder depths in the taller feeder.
Vario header feeding won't be a bottle-neck at all, terrain following and me being able to see what's going on through the dust will be. Don't think we will be seeing anywhere near power limit, it was about 40% at 4mph.

I thought I saw the floor was lowered to increase space as well. That was on a translated video through subtitles, so possible I didn't understand perfectly correct. Hopefully they got rid of the delay in the reverser, for the handful of times I even reverse anymore...

Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:08 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4660 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Vario header feeding won't be a bottle-neck at all, terrain following and me being able to see what's going on through the dust will be. Don't think we will be seeing anywhere near power limit, it was about 40% at 4mph.

I thought I saw the floor was lowered to increase space as well. That was on a translated video through subtitles, so possible I didn't understand perfectly correct. Hopefully they got rid of the delay in the reverser
Ugh, forgot about that, hope so too!

Not sure why but they have two different settings for those springs.

You have accidentally listed a disadvantage of auger headers, they are far duster at the feeder than drapers, seems the auger stirs up more dust.
Know this one for sure, ran beside a Claas auger flex in flax couple of seasons ago.
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Barn
Hey Swman Just curious how the vario is working out for you in the peas? Just came back checking out our peas and getting really concerned here that our vario wont work out here. peas are no taller then about 3 inches now in the entire field so basically flat. Still about 10 days away maybe more till ready. I see in another thread that you are using the Macdon so i take it that you had some sort of trouble?

Lexion 590 2009
Maxflex header 1050 35 ft
Vario header 1050 35 ft
post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandublanko View Post
Hey Swman Just curious how the vario is working out for you in the peas? Just came back checking out our peas and getting really concerned here that our vario wont work out here. peas are no taller then about 3 inches now in the entire field so basically flat. Still about 10 days away maybe more till ready. I see in another thread that you are using the Macdon so i take it that you had some sort of trouble?
If the field didn't have ten drainage ditches on every pass it would have worked fine. Just figured that there was no time for cutting around everything with showers starting tomorrow. Macdon ain't perfect but it's the header for these ditches. I'll give a more detailed report later.

Orlando A. Battista
post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
The drainage ditches made me crazy cutting canola last year so that’s why I brought it up! It would be a whole another level of suck doing peas.
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Just for clarity, this is the type of terrain I was dealing with multiple times per pass...

Not sure how you made out with your peas Brian, but cutting short wheat with my Vario over the last week I don't think it's the best header for cutting on the ground in rolling land. Part of the problem is the bolt threads that stick down where most other headers have a carriage bolt head under the table for the guards. Secondly there is no poly underneath and I am finding in wet conditions that it begins to push easily, a mellow pea field would be a challenge.

Part of the reason I am getting some experience with ground contact is I think because my center ground sensing rods are not working. Either a connection or the sensor or ??? It isn't throwing any faults so I am wondering if it just is a bad connection and not reading it at all. Anyone have experience with this? Makes it really challenging to cut along a ditch or over a sharp knoll.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVIMG_20190821_115441.jpg (364.7 KB, 35 views)

Orlando A. Battista
post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Barn
Nothing harvested here yet. Few guys tried to go in peas but too many greens in them. we waited and just finished desiccating last night in our peas. Our peas look extremely poor, doubt it will yield much more then 10 to 15 bushels as constant rain here has rotted out most of the peas some plants have no pods and some have 2 to 4 pods with only 1 to 2 seeds in them. Very late here as most wheat here is still 1 to 2 weeks away yet. Very little desiccated going on. Canola might be ready in some areas to swath in about a week. some have made a round around field but stopped. Going to be a late harvest here again.

The field i have is very much like what your dealing with but add the mud and water sharp hills and never ending sloughs everywhere that you can't see in most spots and add to that all of our peas are flat on the ground. I know our vario wont work in these conditions. If it wasn't so wet the maxflex would work good here Might have to try to swath and combine right behind it. Better to get the swather stuck then the combine.

Lexion 590 2009
Maxflex header 1050 35 ft
Vario header 1050 35 ft
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandublanko View Post
Nothing harvested here yet. Few guys tried to go in peas but too many greens in them. we waited and just finished desiccating last night in our peas. Our peas look extremely poor, doubt it will yield much more then 10 to 15 bushels as constant rain here has rotted out most of the peas some plants have no pods and some have 2 to 4 pods with only 1 to 2 seeds in them. Very late here as most wheat here is still 1 to 2 weeks away yet. Very little desiccated going on. Canola might be ready in some areas to swath in about a week. some have made a round around field but stopped. Going to be a late harvest here again.

The field i have is very much like what your dealing with but add the mud and water sharp hills and never ending sloughs everywhere that you can't see in most spots and add to that all of our peas are flat on the ground. I know our vario wont work in these conditions. If it wasn't so wet the maxflex would work good here Might have to try to swath and combine right behind it. Better to get the swather stuck then the combine.
Geez, that sounds awful! Sorry to hear that.

I did get my auto height working this morning, it was a connection on the header side of the multi coupler. Very hard to tighten those connections because of the hydraulic lines in the way.

briandublanko likes this.

Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page