4920 prairie star header lift!! - The Combine Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tkfarms

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
4920 prairie star header lift!!

I'm having a wierd problem with my swather not lifting the header on the right hand side. It's a 25ft 960. It will lift the left hand side up all the way but not the right side..was working yesterday but then started to slowly weep down. And today it will lift the header with the reel switch ..and it also wont go down unless you constantly hit the switch??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Well I had deere come by and look at it.. Says its more likely the solenoid and valve in the valve body thats causeing the problem. If it is not seating properly its letting oil flow to places it shouldnt flow.. which could explain why the reel lift will sometimes lift the header up.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
I read your pm in my email earlier and come on to answer you and saw your thread here so thought I'd reply here instead.
I believe your 4920 is the same basically as my 4900.

The lift cylinders are double acting. Often unbalanced side to side flotation spring tension will cause the header to lift unevenly, however sounds like you may have a cylinder issue at minimum possibly.

Reason for the double acting system on header lift, is so you can collapse the cylinders with the table on the ground and it causes the table to actually roll backwards and up towards the windshield, and this gives you additional negative guard angle for picking up down grain. Float isn't as responsive in this position and when things set right, you can just skate the tips of the guards above the ground when needed. To get back to normal settings, you lift the table just enough where you can see it roll back forward and the rear of table will drop back down.

As for the issue with the switches, yes you need to hold the switch to drop table. Mine used to lock for lifting, however when the switch cratered, I replaced it with one that don't lock as I found that very annoying when making adjustments while cutting. Reel needs to be held both ways. Sounds like you have an issue with power getting crossed over between your switches and your solenoids which activate the valves. If everything is not exactly right with those solenoids they will cause the spools to hang up, often the worst offender is the table clutch. Biggest thing that messes them up is if you over tighten them.

Just had a idea here, if you don't have a book, go to the Macdon site, you should be able to download the exact books for you machine and table, owners and parts.

Edit, well I see you posted again while I was typing lol, well looks like you got some of it figured out, good luck

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabuck View Post
I read your pm in my email earlier and come on to answer you and saw your thread here so thought I'd reply here instead.
I believe your 4920 is the same basically as my 4900.

The lift cylinders are double acting. Often unbalanced side to side flotation spring tension will cause the header to lift unevenly, however sounds like you may have a cylinder issue at minimum possibly.

Reason for the double acting system on header lift, is so you can collapse the cylinders with the table on the ground and it causes the table to actually roll backwards and up towards the windshield, and this gives you additional negative guard angle for picking up down grain. Float isn't as responsive in this position and when things set right, you can just skate the tips of the guards above the ground when needed. To get back to normal settings, you lift the table just enough where you can see it roll back forward and the rear of table will drop back down.

As for the issue with the switches, yes you need to hold the switch to drop table. Mine used to lock for lifting, however when the switch cratered, I replaced it with one that don't lock as I found that very annoying when making adjustments while cutting. Reel needs to be held both ways. Sounds like you have an issue with power getting crossed over between your switches and your solenoids which activate the valves. If everything is not exactly right with those solenoids they will cause the spools to hang up, often the worst offender is the table clutch. Biggest thing that messes them up is if you over tighten them.

Just had a idea here, if you don't have a book, go to the Macdon site, you should be able to download the exact books for you machine and table, owners and parts.

Edit, well I see you posted again while I was typing lol, well looks like you got some of it figured out, good luck
Well the deere dealer took apart the cylinders and found one O ring broken. Works good now.. But with it being a offset head I think I need more tension on the right hand side spings?
jdhrasko likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkfarms View Post
Well the deere dealer took apart the cylinders and found one O ring broken. Works good now.. But with it being a offset head I think I need more tension on the right hand side spings?
Yes def you do, and I have found I need to adjust between crops and even if density changes as you work across a field, but then I run a fairly light table to avoid rock damage when I'm scalping the ground, but that bites me at times as the one side or the other will begin to ride higher than it should during normal cutting. And believe me, half a turn can make a diff at times one way or the other. To make life easier when I change tables, I have initial settings marked down in my book, but even then I still have to tweek it with either header. I maybe run about as little as 30 pounds lift at the divider at times. Can't go less or it bounces and rides up bad, around 50 runs fairly even but then I tend to pick up or push the occasional rock.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page