Wind blown Canola swaths - Page 3 - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 12:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Boy View Post
Not to hijack the thread but to those of you suggesting straight cutting is it always necessary to dessicate? What happens if you don't?
We straight cut all our canola every year. It is on irrigation and usually lying down so shelling is not a problem. I have desiccated by plane 9 out of the last 10 years. The one year I didn't was hot and dry in fall so the crop self desiccated. Also one year I put reglone through the pivot did not work well. You have to be very patient. I would not try to straight cut on a very upright lighter crop. Shelling would be a problem. Many advantages though. Higher yield better sample. My tests about 3-4 bushels per acre.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 07:48 AM
gm

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Not to hijack the thread but to those of you suggesting straight cutting is it always necessary to dessicate? What happens if you don't?
We always dessicate, if you don't then the seed maybe dry but the plant material is still green and causes lots of problems. We grow Invigor and dessicate with glyphosate. We use a ground rig to dessicate and usually go in when it would be too late to swath.

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 08:11 AM

Jd stripper

The plane was applying reglone I assume?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 09:24 AM

Hello Sinapisalba Just wondering how you made out with those wind blown swaths. That same wind came through here and blew some swaths around but not near like what you have pictured.
Dusty
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Have 28' sund pickup on 1010 case header

Bought it for peas but works good for picking up wind blowin swathes. If you closer could try it out.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I use a high clearance with 10gal/water and an actual liter of 540 glyphosate. The standing canola handled the first wind excellent....but wasn't immune to the 36 hour 90km/hr hurricane everyone had a few days ago. Glad my swathed canola handled it relatively, as we had rain before the wind and it weighed it down a bit. What a bummer nonetheless! With all the challenges that canola faces between asters yellow, disease, worms, and wind......and not to mention the ridiculous cost of seed, there's going to be way way less canola for me in the ground next year.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
demo'd a pusher one year
upside- no blowing or shelling, nice plump seed
downside- took 10 days longer (was a wetter fall), had a 962 Macdon pea auger is not full width didn't feed well at all the new headers with full width augers solve that problen. I ended up using a auger header
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We replaced the guage wheels with Bourgault MRB coulter. And a sheild that deflects material to pickup. Been working great.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm View Post
We always dessicate, if you don't then the seed maybe dry but the plant material is still green and causes lots of problems. We grow Invigor and dessicate with glyphosate. We use a ground rig to dessicate and usually go in when it would be too late to swath.
Yup helping my neighbor straight cut canola he thought he could get away without spraying and boy he was wrong, the green coming out of the back of those 9870s matched the combine. Never again without spraying it does not thrash well at all and lots of green in hopper.(not the seeds)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page