1020 Header - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1020 Header

Have a 1020 30ft header that keeps breaking the cutterbar
near the knife drive end. Have put on new tri-angle support on LH
side of header to no avail, when bar breaks have to use comealong to get bar back together, pulling everything from the right. Thanks for any ideas,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Re: 1020 Header

i assume you have checked knife alignment, guards, and hold downs. It sure sounds like something is out of alignment or bent. The reason I say this is that if you have to use a comealong to get the knife to move back into place it sure sounds like something binding.

On ours the knife moves quite freely and I doubt we would ever have to use a comealong to get it to move.

Also check your drive to ensure something is not bent or misaligned.

you shouldn't be breaking the cutterbar very often unless the above issues or you are cutting with dull knives or very tough crop at to high a speed.

When the knife is running is it smooth, and after running the knife for 10 minutes have you check each guard and the knife with your hand to see if there are any hot spots (quick way to tell if you have a binding issue)

keep us posted

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: 1020 Header

I broke the bar on a 30' 1020 also. When putting it back together and after reinforcing and welding the bar I mistakenly mounted the outer end of the bar on the wrong side of the gear box plate. It misaligns the sickle and will knock out the head. Don't ask how I know. I could barely move the sickle and yeah that would make a come along necessary. Also check the bushings in the triangle arms for play. They can allow too much side to side play instead of holding the head stationary setting up a vibration during the stroke. Really have to tighten the nut to hold it but short of breaking it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page