I'm converting my 873 adapter from Case to JD since we changed combine brands this year. I was lead to believe by a gentleman at MacDon that it was a relatively simple process and would be in the ballpark of a few grand to do.
So far we've got $7200 in parts spent and I found out today that I'm short at least 1 bundle and 4 or 5 loose parts.
Let me back track a little. We bought the JD in Oct. In Nov, I contacted MacDum, err, MacDon to find the required parts to make the conversion. I had a complete list of the parts which I then took to my dealer to order, which they did. The order was placed in Nov for Jun delivery. June comes, so did the 2 bundles of parts and a bill for $7200. Due to work I started on the conversion today. I opened the bags up. No instructions. Phoned MacDum and spoke to Service. Was promised an email. Which did come a good while later. Opened email. 3 documents totally 4 pages. 2 pages were line art drawings. I emailed back seeing if there were more comprehensive instructions. Nope, these things are sold as constructed. Apparently changing combine brands is a non-supported deal. So I start taking things apart. I remove the Case parts from the adapter and start putting on Deere. It was then I noticed I don't have all the pieces in the one line art drawing. So I start on the electric and hydraulic change over. Struggle to interpret a picture and make a bag full of hoses and wires look like the picture. Go to the neighbours to compare. Decide that I need to go see the dealer and find out whether I was short shipped parts or see if they didn't send them all home with me or if parts weren't ordered. At 3:15 my time, 4:15 in MB I walk into the dealer. It takes 15 minutes to explain where I'm at in the process and show what parts I know I'm short. A couple calls to MacDum and another email is promised. It arrives and we look at it for 15 minutes and discover I'm short 1 bundle and several loose parts. At 4:45 MB time we phone back to MacDum to get clarifications on what we have and what we need. No one in Wholegoods is there! They all left for the #[email protected]
At that point, I nearly snapped. That's when the Service Manager and Partsman both told me that's about normal for MacDon. Great product, absolutely no support to the dealer or customer.
So now I've got roughly half the cost of a new adapter spent and I'm no where close to be able to put it on the new combine.
Mistakes I've made in this whole thing-
1. Gave the note with the nice gentleman's name and parts he told me to get to the parts department at the dealer. Now I don't know who to tear a new one.
2. I should have sent the parts back when I got the $7200 bill. This is way too expensive. Would be more cost effective to have sold the adapter and bought a new one.
3. Shouldn't have trusted that people at MacDon know what the heck they are talking about.
4. Shouldn't have waited until the week before harvest to get this done. But not much I can do there. I have to work around my off farm job.
My advice to anyone considering such a swap that they consider different.