experience with crary air reel on CIH 1020 flex - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
experience with crary air reel on CIH 1020 flex

just curious if anybody has had any experience with the crary air reel on the CIH 1020 flex head. We are kicking around the idea of adding it to our machine. Anyone have any pros or cons about it? thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 09:18 PM
c

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Re: experience with crary air reel on CIH 1020 fle

We use to run them on 1020s I think they are worth the money but I would trade headers to get it otherwise you sit with a reel that is useless once you put the crary on. And if you are going to trade headers you might as well take the plunge to draper and then you will have somthing. We actually had a 36 ft crary head when they came out with all the bells and wistles and that was a joke. If you could find a used air reel then I would install on old header they will pay for themselves either way. What ever you decide you will not regret buying it. They really help if you are in short beans just make sure you keep the bolts tight on the reel ,all of them if a star comes loose you will have major damage. If you cut any small grain they work very well there also.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 08:51 AM

We ran pair of crary reels on 25 ft 1020's. Found they had a sharp driveline angle past the fan. This caused the auger drive sprocket shaft to shift crooked resulting in the auger chain coming off a lot when reversing. Possibly not an issue on 30 ft heads but was a nuisance to us. Another thing I didn't like was that there was no way to run ours without the fan running. Just a waste of horsepower and really noisey in wheat or any other crop where it wasn't necessary and it would blow straw and chaff and dust all over the front. They worked good enough in beans though for what they were designed and straight cutting canola too. We had problems with water getting in the electric cylinders that tilt the air manifolds, causing them to seize up and quit working. Also dirt getting sucked in and plugging some of the air pipes. They did the job but we have flex drapers now and I would never go back to a flex head again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 04:42 PM

I was recently told at a farm show by a Crary rep that their new air reels have a bypass drive available to allow the head to operate without the fan turning but it is an option, not standard.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 08:49 PM

Posted by floydr on Today at 8:51am
We ran pair of crary reels on 25 ft 1020's. Found they had a sharp driveline angle past the fan. This caused the auger drive sprocket shaft to shift crooked resulting in the auger chain coming off a lot when reversing. Possibly not an issue on 30 ft heads but was a nuisance to us. Another thing I didn't like was that there was no way to run ours without the fan running. Just a waste of horsepower and really noisey in wheat or any other crop where it wasn't necessary and it would blow straw and chaff and dust all over the front. They worked good enough in beans though for what they were designed and straight cutting canola too. We had problems with water getting in the electric cylinders that tilt the air manifolds, causing them to seize up and quit working. Also dirt getting sucked in and plugging some of the air pipes. They did the job but we have flex drapers now and I would never go back to a flex head again.

Ya, we went through auger chain issue but resolve it by keeping the slip clutch adjusted to spec. this farm hasn't made the jump to an expensive draper yet, so if it has to be a 1020 then definitely has to have an air reel on it, have had an air reel on our heads for 17 years.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I have a Crarry wind system on the front of my header. Absolutely love it in dry beans, works good in wheat, but it does blow a lot of straw around. Also helps feed better in wheat, as long as you keep the drop tubes up and in the reel. Wouldnt be cought dead with out some type of air system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page