1043 corn head plugging in light rain - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1043 corn head plugging in light rain

I have a 1043 corn head. In heavy dew or light rain, the leaves of the cobs and sometimes small stalks get caught under the top end of the stripper bars. The leaves keep building up and very quickly starts plugging the area between the gathering chains. This stops the flow of the corn cobs entering the auger. Is there something starting to wear out or needs adjusting to stop this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Re: 1043 corn head plugging in light rain

I hadn't noticed this thread before; I'm surprised nobody commented yet. Anyway, your problems are probably caused by the tough stalks instead of the header. When things dry out it will work better. If you're still having trouble when it is dry, try opening the back end of the deck plates a little to allow the trash to flow through. If they're too close together the stalks will break off and get stuck. The deck plates should be closer in the front so the ear gets stripped there, then any trash can fall through at the back.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:41 PM

this is hard to put in typing but i well try.

right wear the decking plats end their will be a piece of metal the shape of a triangle it is welded to the auger flooring if the tab is broken off it well plug the head up. reason why is the snapping roller do not go up that fear and their is a dead spot for stalks and trash to build up.

I had the same problem last year and only on two rows it would plug up i found out that the tab had broken off i made some out of scrap iron and fix the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Redinshed, you are right. It is hard to put into words. But you have the right location. I still have the triangle shape metal. But the leaves start plugging between the top end of the decking plates on either side of this triangle shape metal. It keeps building up until eventually, the trash starts building up in front of this triangle piece and stops the flow of the cobs from travelling up into the auger. I have a gap (3/16") between the top end of the decking plates and the base sheet metal (frame) it butts up to? Is it suppose to be there or is something wore?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 06:55 PM

you say there is a gap between the triangle piece and the fram work, NO there is not suppose to be a gap there, your plates are wore, then need replacing.

We have the same problem on our 863 (back up head) we're gonna replace them all before next year cuz we had the same problem this year in wet stalks, but our 1063 would run right through it with no plugging.

good luck
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

The gap is between the end of the deck (stripper) plates and the frame. I looked at a new corn head and it had a gap at that location as well. Maybe it wasn't set up properly yet. Could a person weld something on the end of these plates to fill the gap?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 07:34 PM

I would not see welding something on the end but you would have to make shear that it do's not get in your geathering chains.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 08:45 PM

The triangle piece of metal you are talking about is available from Case-IH through parts.

Also check that the augers/bearings at the front of the snapping rolls are not worn down and allowing the roll assemblies to move forward and create a larger than usual gap at the top of the rolls near the gearbox. This can also cause the plugging problem you describe.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

That isn't wore out as bad as ours, the previous owners welded sickle sections to a couple rows to replace that triangle piece. We get the same buildup, but since it's always dry it isn't much of a problem. If I have to dig a cob out of the deck plates I'll clean out the junk that builds up behind them while I'm out, otherwise I just run it until it's convenient to stop.

If it's too wet we won't cut, but a lot of you guys don't have that luxury.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

The following two pictures shows the trouble I am having when there is a heavy dew or a light drizzle. The first picture shows the leaves that start building. The second picture shows gap at the top of the deck plates where the leaves start building. Is this gap normal, or is it from wear? I have seen it on all of the other corn heads I have looked at. It is frustrating, because the trash keeps building until it eventually blocks the cobs from riding up with the gathering chains into the auger.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in