1020 flex head problem diagnosis, required!? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1020 flex head problem diagnosis, required!?

I have a 2188 with a 30' 1020 flex head, it has been cutting wheat rather well for a week, but 2 days ago problems occurred. My operator called and said he had broke the sickle, so no problem I drove the 50 miles to Wichita and picked up the front piece with splice kit, come home, fixed the break, and away we went.

Yesterday(thursday) operator called(always about 5:30, said he broke the sickle again, and this time when he shook the arm on the wobble box, it was loose, so he thought the wobble box bearing had went out. I called Wichita, didnt have the parts, so went to Hutchinson instead.. While enroute, operator called and said under further inspection, the bolt holding the arm that attaches to the wobble box and sickle head, was loose, only finger tight. So, with that in mind, I picked up another front section of sickle and some lock tight, and went home and fixed the problem.

ON to today, at about 6:00, he called , same problem, sickle broke, and bolt was loose.
After numerous calls to several dealerships, talking to different service managers, I finally came up with one that gave me some ideas. First he asked how the guards were, and I admitted some of them were worn, so he said in the thick wheat I was cutting that would cause the sickle to break. He said if the arm that attaches the wobble box to the sickle head had any wear in it, it would cause the bolt to loosen up. He also told me to inspect the brace underneath the wobble box. Brace looked good, so I went back to Wichita this evening, bought enough guards to outfit the 30' sickle, bought a new arm, seal, and rubber/foam type washer. Put them all on tonight, but too late to try it out. Also put some RED locktight on the bolt.

Now, Am I on the right track, and/or does anybody have any suggestions? Yield monitor says I am cutting 60-65 bushel wheat, so would really like to get it to the elevator, but am getting tired of throwing parts at this platform, without uncovering the problem!

Thanks for any TIPS and ADVICE!

Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 10:56 AM

Re: 1020 flex head problem diagnosis, required!?

Had the same problem with our 820, if the wobble box arm hole is wore it will cause it to get loose, and break the sickle. I had to put new bearings in wobble box to get all the vibration out.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

New Arm had some play in it after about 30 minutes running, and several inspections! Went to Great Bend on Friday to purchase a new wobble box, put it on yesterday, still waiting for weather to cooperate, to see if that was the problem. Sunny today, but only about 75 degrees out, but should go after lunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 04:26 PM

Just another possibility. One my 1020, the bearings that hold the arm that holds the wobble box were very wore. This allowed the wobble box to shake back and forth. With the sickle disconnected from the wobble box, try to push the box back and forth. This can cause sickle breakage also.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 369 Post(s)

I have had a one or two of these oil bath wobble boxes apart. They are pretty simple and an overhaul on them is not hard. It could partly be the operator. I was cutting fescue and the old belt slipped off the wobble box when I cut to low and hammer around. These 30 footers take a beating in Missouri with terraces and big fast combines. Check all the bolts. You will get it figured out. Good luck
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 08:40 PM

be very sure that the wobble box and arm are in good shape. also you did the right thing changing all the guards and when you did that I hope that you checked the gap between the sickle and the hold down that is rather important to with high bushal wheat.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Check the main springs on the cutterbar side. We had a used head we bought years ago where every spring was broke within 2-3 inches of the front. Needless to say the head wasn't working worth anything. They are difficult to see and it is possible to miss the break when you were changing the guard.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

We had an 810 with similar problems. I always kept a couple wrenches with me so I could make sure that big bolt was tight every few hours. For some reason the leading edge of the header wasn't square and the back edge of the sickle bar came into contact with the header at the middle. Pulling the sickle out you could see where the bar was grooved from rubbing on the header. The extra drag would tear up wobble boxes. Dad got an SCH Easy-Cut for it and that saved the wobble box, but only because the bolt-together bar kept breaking.

I guess the header had a twist in it or something, not too sure. Dad said it was like that when he bought it in '83 or '84. Regardless, we fought with that thing every harvest until we got rid of it.

Something I just thought of... what kind of knives do you have, coarse or fine tooth? We were thinking of getting coarse tooth knives for our 973, thinking they'd work better in beans. Our parts guy talked us out of it, saying they don't cut wheat very well; the knife just grabs the wheat and stuffs it into the guard without cutting it, plugging the guard and breaking the knife. When the combine man walked in he asked for his opinion and he replied with "Only if you don't like your sickle."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Putting the new wobble box and arm, must have done the trick, as we cut for two days with no problems! Of course the new sickle and guards probably helped it run that much smoother. I am going to keep the old wobble box and try and rebuild it this winter, so I can have a spare. Parts man told me it was about as cheap to buy the whole wobble box, but I can't imagine that to be true?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Administrator

He's probably talking at the shop rate of $75/hr

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page