Which tractor is best on the cart? - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Any difficulty with terrain and you'll want the bigger tractor. Biggest thing with unloading with power shift or anything for that matter is proper gear selection. Too many times people try to go in too high of gear then things start bouncing and things get ugly quick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Another vote for the 9510R, you will need the weight and power of the 4wd and the visibility loading trucks will be far superior over a front wheel assist. I am assuming that the 9510R has a power shift.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
highly recommend the cameras haven't had any dust problems last 3 yrs , can top out perfect day an night an going on the road is a lot safer with 1 out back, combines not the only thing that can start fires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
I'd say 9510R as well.

We usually use our 8230 (IVT) on our cart (Brent 882) but last year due to the wet conditions we were using a rented 9420T. This year we will likely be back to using the 8230 but my brother who runs the cart really liked the 9420T on there. If our 9420 on tires was a powershift that's the machine we'd use on the cart. If it had a PTO already we'd probably just deal with the 24 speed, but since there is no PTO we won't make the investment due to lack of powershift.

Unfortunately our 9530 on tires can't have a PTO installed into it.
EastGuy likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
You say both tractors have GPS. I assume you run autotrac in the combine as well. Can I make a suggestion? Run autotrac on the grain cart tractor as well. Set the track spacing the same as the cut on the combine. Set the heading exactly as the combine. Pull under the auger and center the track and then use shift track to move closer or farther away from the combine as per combine operator. We have been doing this for years and it really takes a load off the cart driver. Use it in corn and soybeans. For corn we write down the exact heading they used to plant it and punch that into the monitor.
We run a 1300 bu cart on 8360rt with no issues. We also don't load it full until the last load of the night. We put 1000 bu on and fill a truck. We used to run a 8320r wheel with the only issue was horsepower in our steepest hill.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
I also vote for the 4WD. Heavier tractor, more hp and better visibility when unloading will all be assets. I run a Brandt 1300 on a STX 375 (tuned to 470) tractor, and when you get 36MT on there, it becomes a very big tail wagging the dog.

Myles
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Seems like the 4WD is the preferred choice. Haven't heard any pros about the smaller tractor......

Always use auto track. Work on an A+ heading. Works great. Saves a tractor-header collision. 40' foot headers don't leave much room for error. I line up with the extended unloading auger, centre, engage auto steer, and then drive in to unloading position. You know your good before you get in the danger area then.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I vote 9R - Autotrac is always a good thing, makes the wide-ness of the 9R less of a concern. Takes a touch of getting used to swinging in from the side, but easy enough. Love the stability, and being able to see into the truck. You should have the auto-mode on your powershift, I use that and the roller knob on the gearshift - speed matching is a breeze that way. Set "1" for approximately your combine speed, "2" for chasing speed, and you can do a pretty nice job. Bumping the gearshift kicks it out, so if you pull alongside out of it, then tap 1 as you settle under the auger, it works nice.

The 8R's IVT would be REALLY nice loading a truck - I have the same 9R issue, trying not to slip the clutch and lock it into park. If you're loading semis, though, not a big issue, 1 pile each end and you're done, so only 1 real move.

I don't know what it breaks down to in cost/hr., but I doubt fuel usage is enough different to count, and seems like the trade value hours difference is pretty close, too........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page