Need suggestions on Track carts - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need suggestions on Track carts

I am looking to upgrade to tracked grain carts. Have been running J&M 1151 on floaters for last 8 years, and love them. looking to go to tracks for compaction reasons. What brand would you suggest or do you have experience with as far as tracks go?

These are the new track carts i am looking at.

J&M 1151
Brent 1100
Demco 1102

Any insight or suggestions on these track systems and carts would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Barn
to add to your list, how about an elmers with transfer tracks? then you could get some use out of them in spring as well. Have ran an elmers 1600 at work for the last 3 years and have been quite happy with it. it was a first or second year production so we have had to do some updating but its been good for the most part and the new ones have those issues addressed as far as I can tell.

20180813_171218 by trout siemonster, on Flickr

20180808_135202 by trout siemonster, on Flickr

Trent's Custom harvesting, southern manitoba
Cr 970
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Went from a J&M 1150-22 to a 1522-20T this fall. Really like the tracks. These ones have the oil hubs vs grease which is nice.

Pros.
1) tracks float nice and no ruts in field.
2) Cart runs smoother with tracks vs tires.
3) The bullet auger reach is a big improvement from previous models. More clearance to truck plus it leans farther forward.
4) The adjustable spout is good.
5)Agrimatics scale head is good. No wiring harness to tractor and can monitor from various tablets/ phones.
6) Not familiar with other brands but on the J&M when you go with tracks they eliminate the wheel wells that the wheeled versions have. Not all brands do that. More capacity and better clean out.
7) Newer carts have an overunning clutch on the pto shaft. Eliminates that sudden stop and loud band everytime you shut the auger off and the pto brake comes on.
Cons.
1) Even both the the 22 inch regular and 20 bullet auger are rated at 600 bpm my old cart unloaded much faster. Maybe if I ran the tractor at full rpm then it would be faster but 500hp at full throttle is overkill for a short dinky auger. My old auger had tons of capacity at 1600rpm.
2) The bushel capacity seems to be overated on the 1522. Have to completely heap it up to get the bushels. I think the 1150 held more than is rated at.
3) Tarp is a bit Mickey mouse. The Michels tarp setup would be a big improvement. My tarp doesn't have the return cable/ spring system like the Michels tarp. Its a pita to roll out when windy or if you have a heaped load. Also the tarp hoops need to be taller. The tarp sits to flat and sags between the hoops and holds water after a rain. Like I said Michels tarp big improvement.
4)Have to make wider turns with tracks when loaded. Not a major issue in the field most times but if moving grain around the yard and loading trucks its not as manueverable.
5) In high moisture grain cart doesn't clean out as good vs a dual auger cart. It can hang up on the slopes.
6) Not sure which models it affects but pre bullet auger models like the 1521 had a bend in the auger to get the extra forward reach with the auger. These units have a u-joint and soft start mechanism in the auger hinge that can give problems. Bullet auger is straight thru design like the older augers. No problems with them.

My observations so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
The older tracks on the Unverferth brands of carts have spindle issues on the idlers. A poorly maintained set is a money pit and a machine that just can’t have down time.

I wouldn’t buy another period but if I had to I’d be brining a jack and releasing the track tension and check all the idlers and rollers.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 09:31 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4575 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
I wouldn’t buy another period
Because?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 09:35 AM

Because the tip’s of the spindles like to pop off releasing the outer bearing and idler half with it.

I’d scrape a few more pennies together and get the new tracks. Not sure what year they started but maybe 14-15.

Way heavier all around built.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 09:45 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4575 Post(s)
Thought you meant no tracks at all.
I think cart tracks are the longest footprint carrying far and away the most weight, twisting forces are incredible at times.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 10:09 AM

Oh yeah 100% on the tracks themselves! The cart is likely the worst offender for compaction.

And yeah it would help considerably if you don’t have an ******* running it.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Nothing is bulletproof, seen this just south of Humbolt, SK this fall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180824_193513_1545150452381.jpg (756.0 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg 20180824_193601_1545150495908.jpg (1.81 MB, 139 views)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Hear more and more complaints expensive maintenance after wet season on cart tracks .
Turning dirt inside track reason for failures

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page