The Combine Forum banner

West Texas Silage Harvest 07 PICS

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  brewmax 
#1 ·
To start off, we grow silage for a huge dairy that borders one of our ranches. About two days after planting it, it rained 3" which caused the feed to be stunted on a summer in which it could have made around 16 tons but only made 6.

See less See more
#7 ·
Nice pics there Shane!!

Is that forage sorghum/milo you're cutting there?

If it is, you wouldn't have to have any pics of it being mowed instead of being directly chopped up? I just heard that some one does that, but I find it somewhat hard to believe that it's real good to mow such a high crop... :/

- Peter

#9 ·
Sorry I havnt been around lately. Thanks everyone for the compliments. First off we are located near San Angelo, TX. I don't have a pic of our planter on my laptop but its a 7300 JD 8row-40 vertical fold with Sunco trash wheels. The tanks have water in them. The feed in the pics is sorghum. The only time we mow it is when its not big enough to chop. We then bale the mowed feed. Sometimes when the drought's on....the feed falls down becuase the grain in the head is so heavy so you have to mow it first then use a pick up reel. You can cut no matter how tall it is...you just have too go slowwwww. Yep the yellow truck is a PETE.
Feel freed to ask anymore questions...

#11 ·
Quote:cool pics. youre further south than i am. im up near plainview. i dont suppose you would be intrested in another planter like the one you mentioned above? mine is a 1710 vert fold 8r 40 inch one as well. been over less than 3000 acres and barn kept.

I went through Plainview in August on my way up to Western Equipment in Amarillo to pick up an 80' Hardi 3-pt. BTW I wouldn't recommend buying anything from them or Colby Flamming (head of sales). He's a liar and a crook and will tell you whatever you want to hear to make your decsion on buying a piece of equipment faster. Very pretty country between Plainview and Canyon though.Well I don't really know about the planter...ours came with all the bells and whistles and has the fancy monitor and has been very dependable. Does your's have row markers and Sunco trash wheels and do you have a pic? The reason I ask is becuase we don't lay off rows and plant straight into wheat and hay stubble.

#12 ·
i totally agree with you about western equip. i bought a 9610 from them ane i wouldnt buy as much as a spark plug for my lawn mower from them ever again. i was lied to as well numerous times. yes the planter has factory markers but no trash wheels jusr baring off disks and "v" press wheels. has teh 250 monitor as well that does spacing and population too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.