Cat C18 engines in choppers - Page 2 - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another great informative thread! If I understand correctly the only reason for the C18 in the Krone machine was to meet the C.A.R.B. emission requirements so they are just sold in C.A. I believe. The rest of the country is still running the Man. We have a few guys in the area with over 2000 engine hours on the 700's with no issues so far and they are all running a 10 row. We average between 15-23 ton an acre here. As far as an 850 goes they are pretty much a detuned 1100 but their torque curve is alot more operator friendly as the engine has plenty of reserve capacity as it isn't pushing the peak of the horsepower range.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Comparing pre-emission truck values for this thread the pre-emission truck values are considerably higher than emission controlled trucks. Also, the cat engines have never had reliability with their dpf systems. For us, I would stay away from the cat because of what we have heard and experienced with trucks. As for harvesters, the problem really arises when a code comes up for emissions and within a half hour to an hour the codes will shut down the engine until service work is performed. Down the road ten years these will become most likely less reliable. I don't think any of us want to be shut down waiting for service if we have the choice. I would go with the man engine without a doubt. The man v12 in the 980 claas and Krone 1100 are very good with torque and power.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post
We put a c-18 in a claas 492, runs killer. The only trouble we have had was a couple of injector issues through the years. This is a tier 3 motor though.

It sounds like you are choosing krone, and just deciding on power plant. We ran the new cat powered machine and it is great. Power curve is sweet, cruise using constant power works very efficiently in this machine. I was really impressed with it. Much better than the 1000 we had, and constant power was ok once we played with parameters enough. The c-18 is very smooth in that machine.

The big problem is fuel consumption. Because of all the emission controls that thing is THIRSTY! I am not sure on total gallons on board but starting at 7 and by 3-4 o'clock it was time to look for the fuel wagon. That was running an 8 row head. If you could get the motor reflashed to remove all the garbage you would have a sweet ride.

The man motors were very good on fuel but the torque curve drops off like any other v motor, but not as bad. They pull hard. The 980 is hard to get full enough sometimes and thats at 884 ish hp if I remeber right. If I am not mistaken all of the man engines are over the horsepower rating for them to need to be tier 4. Which to me makes this an easy choice.
v impressive engine swap, Ive seen the videos on youtube of your chopper,

how did you manage the electrics, it must have been v difficult integrate it into the Class machine.

Ill guess its an industrial engine same as in a truck & you were able to figure it out how to make it run.

Why move from the original Merc powerplant, is a CAT engine a bit cheaper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page