Chopping mature wheat? - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmshop View Post
You could try bailing and wrapping if you have access. The tight bales eliminate most of the o2 and the cooler temps it doesn't really ferment but it shouldn't spoil either
I've got a wrapper and that would be my first choice but my 568 will just either slip the pto slip clutch or the drive rolls will spin inside the belts after about 42-46". This is probably +80% moisture with light frost on the stems. Do other makes fair better? Might have to track down a chain baler?

It's a 22 mile haul and would way rather go 17 bales at a time with the picker truck than 7 ton of silage in a tandem. I'm just building a pile in the field and will haul in the winter as needed as I can use my 32' end dump.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 11:45 PM
NVW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Vanderwell View Post
I've got a wrapper and that would be my first choice but my 568 will just either slip the pto slip clutch or the drive rolls will spin inside the belts after about 42-46". This is probably +80% moisture with light frost on the stems. Do other makes fair better? Might have to track down a chain baler?

It's a 22 mile haul and would way rather go 17 bales at a time with the picker truck than 7 ton of silage in a tandem. I'm just building a pile in the field and will haul in the winter as needed as I can use my 32' end dump.
I've never made silage bales, 48" is what I would expect though. A farmer nearby makes them with a UK baler designed for it and they appear to be about 48".

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
We usually only make 50" bales as that's what our skids can handle. We use a 568 also we hired a guy with a 468 silage special and he had similar results. Most times we don't have problems only time is baking fine stem grass as that falls through the belts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Well finally opened the pile and figured I'd give an update.

The wheat turned out great. Fermented fine and the beards are soft enough to not be an issue.

I was worried about mold issues with it sitting in the swath for so long but, I haven't come across any yet.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (750.9 KB, 132 views)
chance2 likes this.

Dan
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
A guys got to get lucky once in a while. Hopefully you end up with some nice fat cattle
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Glad to hear it worked out well for you! How long have the cows been eating it so far? Do they seem to like it? Are they getting much else in the mix as well? Did you get any feed tests at any point! (Yeah, I guess my nerdy dairy farmer side is coming through pretty strong
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmshop View Post
A guys got to get lucky once in a while. Hopefully you end up with some nice fat cattle
I'll take being lucky over being good most any day.

Dan
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 11:03 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4699 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Vanderwell View Post
I'll take being lucky over being good most any day.
You have to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
And it's good to get lucky, and getting lucky is good!

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroncrest View Post
Glad to hear it worked out well for you! How long have the cows been eating it so far? Do they seem to like it? Are they getting much else in the mix as well? Did you get any feed tests at any point! (Yeah, I guess my nerdy dairy farmer side is coming through pretty strong
They've been on it about 2.5 weeks. The calves, yearlings and bred heifers are on a free choice TMR of this wheat/alfalfa silage, grass hay, vitamin+mineral package, and rolled barley/ spring thrashed wheat. Due to the past couple years we have a huge quantity of low quality feed.

The cows are being limit fed a similar TMR and free choice coarse hay.

The palatability is a little hard to compare but they all like the TMR.

We feed tested this pile by probing it. I'd have to ask my brother about the results but with it being layered with second cut alfalfa it would be hard to compare. I never tested it separately.

I have a few friends who shake their head about how excited I get when we can shave our ration cost by 5 or 10 cents. Does that make me a nerdy beef guy. Lol.

We've since switched to all awnless or smooth awn varieties to eliminate being forced into this situation again.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page