R450 w/995 having trouble - Page 2 - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Here's what I found online about changing header setting in the power unit

I do remember that over the course of the years that we ran ours, we started getting frustrated by having to change the hydraulic motor that drives the whole disc head. It would wear out/blow seals, etc and wasn't cheap at all. After the second time it happened, we took the guts out of the coupler on the small hydraulic line (the case return/over pressure line) and just put a quarter turn valve on there so there would be no restrictions at all. Never had a problem for a few years after that and was still in great shape when we sold it

Best of luck, hope you get something figured out. They can be a great and productive machine when you get it dialled in

Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_0256.PNG (303.0 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 01:08 AM
GLL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe you have it figured out by now. There is a JD parts conversion kit for "honeybee" that looks like a bunch of flow restrictors. Regular platform drive motor doesn't have all that stuff.

Tried cutting with our R450 today with disc speed at 1000 or so (engine at idle)--would hardly cut at 1 mph. Imperative to have disc speed close to 3000. Should sound like a multi engine plane on takeoff at that speed.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So yesterday I changed the header setting to the 5m platform in the cab and it didn’t make a difference in speed. Noticed one of the large lines on the header drive motor was leaking at the coupler, so I disconnected it and put a new o/ring in and then back together. The dealer told me to run it in reverse and if it runs faster then I have to change lines and other stuff. But when I hopped back in and ran it normally it was working? And I could adjust it on the joystick too. So I don’t know exactly what the problem was it what actually fixed it. Got some rain yesterday evening so will get out and try it today! Thanks to the both of you for helping me with this problem!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLL View Post
Tried cutting with our R450 today with disc speed at 1000 or so (engine at idle)--would hardly cut at 1 mph. Imperative to have disc speed close to 3000. Should sound like a multi engine plane on takeoff at that speed.

Depends on the hay and the speed. Good standing normal stem size hay can be cut at 15 MPH with the rotor set to 2200 RPM - tests have been done to show that in standing alfalfa, slower is actually better to the point of losing centrifugal force to keep the knives out which happens at about 1500 RPM. The slower you can run the disc speed, the better it feeds. Too fast and the hay starts to swirl every which direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHC560 View Post
From what I've gathered from other new JD equipment and what seems to be a huge concern is "How big is the fridge" and does it keep your wobbly pops cold enough ??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thats all Deere has left to make the machine flawless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page