R450 w/995 having trouble - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
R450 w/995 having trouble

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, but have used it a fair bit in the past, whenever I had issues with any of my equipment. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience on here that can’t be found elsewhere.

I farm in southeast Saskatchewan and just purchased a used 2010 R450 w/ 995 16’ impeller header. Still trying to learn it and have no previous experience with an impeller conditioner. Cut 100 acres of average hay (broke/alfalfa) last night and it worked ok once I figured out the cutterbar rpm was on a fixed bracket (probably for the honeybee platform it came with) and was too slow. So changed it to the variable solenoid and it sped up to 840. Got into a quarter of really heavy, lodged alfalfa today and it had a lot of trouble going against the the way it was leaning. The crop seemed to almost ball up and mulch up, and I’d end up pushing up piles of crop. No matter what I did, it wouldn’t help. I think it’s some setting or something I’m not doing right, cause I’m sure my pt NH db316 would cut it well. Also some of the crop is laying outside the windrow. Engine rpm is 2450, cutterbar is 840, deflector hood has been from tight to wide open with no change, and I’ve tried different tilt and groundspeed. Crop accelerators are a bit worn but don’t seem too bad. Converging drums don’t have much wear. New blades. Any ideas or things I’m forgetting?

Also wondering if anyone has gotten the autotrac to steer it well at higher speeds 10-14mph?

Thanks, I appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Doesn't seem like the discs are spinning fast enough. We used to run pretty much that exact combination and I think I remember disc rpm over 2000....

Oh wait, are you saying it's a sickle knife style instead of discs? I had assumed discs from the 995....

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Yep it’s a disc header. I was thinking it’s still spinning too slow. So your rpm reading on the pillar below the engine rpm was reading 2000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 08:49 PM

Pretty sure, but honestly can't remember 100%

Where'd you buy it from? Honestly sounds exactly like the unit my brother coordinated the sale on: r450 with a 995, along with a 36' honeybee swather platform....
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:06 PM

Here's a snapshot of the page in the owners manual that talks about operating speed of the header between 2000 and 3000 rpm
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_0255.PNG (303.1 KB, 7 views)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. It came from a sale by Provost. Yes that’s what I’m talking about. Mine is only running around 850. When I hold the button on the joystick and turn the dial, it doesn’t change. Seems like a long way to go to get to 3000..
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Maybe it’s something simple that gets changed on the pump when switching between the draper and rotary head?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 11:54 PM
GLL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We cut lots grass hay with steel conditioners and have the same problem on lodged/laying down hay. Cuts good when pointing away from you or sideways, but death to drive straight into it. Think long hay gets caught in conditioner before gets cut by blades. Try cutting into it from a different direction.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks the reply. I can change direction, but still will not be great considering different parts of the field are leaning different ways. Regardless, I’m still concerned about the cutterbar speed not even being close to proper..?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 10:30 AM

Definitely sounds like something isn't quite right. As if the power unit doesn't know there's a discbine attached and is still in swather mode? I fully admit that I am not the equipment guru at our place though, so I don't have any actual advice on how to change it .....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page