The Combine Forum banner

Sugarcane-questions?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  lsutiger 
#1 ·
I was watching some sugarcane harvesting on youtube the other night and was wondering how do you plant it?

Thanks
-Dave

#2 ·
Well, Crawdaddy could probably shed more light, but from what I've seen it takes a lot of labor. A tractor passes and dumps some cane seed stalks on the rows and the workers have to walk behind and stick them in the ground. Now thats what I've observed, Im not sure if its 100% accurate. But it only has to be planted once every two or three years though.

#4 ·
They harvest the cane with the harvester and place it into a planter wagon that has a huge rotating drum on the front. (No "seed" is planted, but instead it sprouts from nodes or joints on the stalk.) This drum drops the cane into furrows that have been opened by a tractor mounted plow with moldboards. After the planter passes workers staighten the cane and make sure its even. Then a covering tool or hipper passes, followed by a packer and sprayer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.