Questins for rice farmers. - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Questins for rice farmers.

I have owned red combines for 10 years, currently use a 1688. I will be increasing my acres to 1600 in 08 and will be trading combines. I don't have a problem with the CaseIH combine but I am looking at the JD combine as a possibility. I have good dealers for both within 15 minutes so that's a trade-off. I want to hear from anyone with experience of both the CaseIH (2388/2588) and JD (9660/9760 STS) and give me your thoughts please.

P.S. I plan on using a draper head in rice and beans.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Questins for rice farmers.

*I posted a reply, but I deleted it. I had a quote from RAB posted, but I now see that he has been here, lately. I will let RAB tell ya, himself...

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 09:04 PM

I have had the problems of the belly auger drive shaft bearing going out as well, we run a 9660 sts and have had our fair share of problems with them in rice. The grain tank and the components seem to be the problem we have. Our machine is not set up with stainless components for a true rice machine. We have twice pushed the tank auger in the belly of the tank out the right side of the machine, and folding the auger shield up like an accordian. We have also broke the carrier bearing assembly on the clean grain auger. I am unsure of the reasoning, due to high moisture, not running a "bubble" auger on the extension to take the weight off the auger and carrier bearing, but when it happens it will roll the flighting like a pretzel. We are true green customers but I cannot see the justification in the added cost of stainless components. These above mentioned problems have happened over a 6 year period and with 6 different machines. We trade yearly for a year old machine, that hasn't seen rice until we introduce it. We run a 22 ft. agco stripper, have had problems w/ the bonnett, sent it to hoxie and had to run the flex head, makes the machine work alot harder. I can't see the advantages of the draper, if it works at all like the flex, maybe it feeds better reducing the stress on the machine. But the rotor "growls" alot with the flex it seems. Thanks for listening, have any tips on draper vs. stripper?

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

? for RAB

I notice you run a stripper. Any idea of how your combine might perform with a draper head. Capacity and grain loss?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I'd look for a 9660 or 9650CTS.

I would say Lexion but I'd start a color war soo I'll give the opinion I had a few years ago since you only asked about case vs. deere.

You cant beat a CTS in rice. The performance is unmatched and we dont have near the problems with the CTS we do with the STS-
I SOLD THE LAST FOUR 9660CTS MACHINES JOHN DEERE BUILT IN MOLINE.- nearly problem free.

The only thing a CTS doesnt really shine in is corn.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Blogger

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Lexman, the problem with the Lexion in the south is the almost total lack of dealers. Anyone can drive 50 miles in any direction and see any color of machine except a Lexion. I have no doubts that the Lexion is a great machine but Riggs Cat here in Arkansas put a huge bullet in it when they started selling them. They have a bad reputation for picking up a line of equipment and if it doesn't sell great in the first year they drop them. Or sell the equipment but don't stock parts (DMI). Puts a bad taste in farmers mouths when you treat a customer like that.

CTS is awesome in rice....so Deere quit selling them. Go figure. I know we are a niche market but to hear all the yankee's on these internet sites talk you'd figure we would need to buy new machines every year since we tear them up so fast cutting rice.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Isn't a 2388 a class 5 machine and a 9760 a class 7? Hmmm wonder why you have more capacity with the 7.

Will be interesting to see how it wears over time compared to the Red one.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 08:27 AM

harsh is right. You are comparing two different animals. If you compared a 2388 to a 9560 you could then tell the differences brand wise.

It's a shame the situation with Riggs- I've heard several complaints about them. I saw a 580R Run in rice and it was impressive and guys say they have few problems with them in rice.

The CTS situation makes me mad every time I think about it. The only reason deere did it, as I was told, was for economics, yet they still build the CTS overseas- 9780CTS, which would be a heck of a machine if we had it here...but they won think about it (Already begged)

If you do get an STS be sure and get an actual rice machine or a least the high wear/custom cutter package. The thing just wears too fast otherwise.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 07:56 AM

Its a similar design to a Lexion.

They also do a killer job in wheat. The thresing system seems to do a much better job.

They'll do a decent job in corn theres just a lot of work to change over between crops.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 11:06 AM

like what?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page