Running airation fans in rain or not ?? With yellow peas - The Combine Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By farmingsk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Running airation fans in rain or not ?? With yellow peas

Have combined high moisture peas and been storing them last few days with aeration fans running 24/7 but never suspected this big rain to last a few days..

Is it better to shut fans down and wait till it's over or run them threw the next few days.. Calling for 50mm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
How high of moisture are they? We shut are fan s down during rain as it will add moisture to grain, that what we have found, do you have temp cables.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Its all based on humidity, if the air humidity is higher than the grain you will actually add moisture.

As a farmer, you learn quick: ďYou donít get anything that you donít work hard forĒ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
I have dried out peas in 5000 bushel hopper bins with 3.5hp KEHO fan from 25% moisture down to 10-12% in a week in warm dry weather. If the peas are cool and not spoiling, I would turn off the fans. If they are hot at all. I would leave the fans on to cool down and not be spoiling.
This is no expert advice here.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Gueesing I would say 20 percent moisture, from unqured green ones, and a few canada thistle in them.. Had two good days of drying with them and only filled bins half full to make it quicker to dry..

Looks the their 50mm is a farse, only 4 mm now and looks to be clearing, but I did shut fans down tonight.. Thanks
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
I would look at the following site. As Ianwickum pointed out if they are not hot, leave the fan off until the humidity drops out. Use the cereal chart as a rough guideline. The important thing is to keep it cool until humidity drops out of air.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/crop1204

It is not What you know, it is WHO you know that counts! Currency is a UNIT of debt - not value!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
What's important is the "equilibrium moisture" for the peas. For example, 18% MC peas will not lose or gain moisture at 80% relative humidity (roughly, depends on air temperature as well). Peas have a low equilibrium moisture, i.e. they dry even at high humidity (compared to canola, wheat, barley). I would run the fan if you need cooling and then run some more if the humidity drops a little.

See: PAMI Equilibirium Moisture Content Charts and SK AG natural air grain drying.
RunninREDharD likes this.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<farmpro.ca/combine-loss>, works well on mobile phones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page