Makes you say WHAT!? at the supermarket... - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Canary seed is the same situation as buckwheat, there is a wild and a tame variety.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
I was in a Bulk Barn awhile ago, a bin of wheat, just regular, ordinary wheat. Not organic. Not milled into flour. Label just said wheat. Can't remember the exact price per gram, but remember when I converted it to price per bushel, it was very close to $60!!!!!! One marking term that confuses me is "Naturally Sourced"??? Especially when used for that sea water crap you squirt up your nose. How the he!! do you Naturally Source sea water? Walk into the sea with a pail and scoop it up?

440duster and Combine Pilot like this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2808 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
I was in a Bulk Barn awhile ago, a bin of wheat, just regular, ordinary wheat. Not organic. Not milled into flour. Label just said wheat. Can't remember the exact price per gram, but remember when I converted it to price per bushel, it was very close to $60!!!!!!
I just gave a pail of wheat to a guy from Brandon and he told me that Superstore and Walmart sells it for what amounts to $66/bushel. He wanted whole-grain wheat to make bread. Also gave him some yellow peas to try. Felt like the good old days, giving wheat away...
torriem, kevlar and Windmillfarms like this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1204 Post(s)
Hopefully he doesn’t fix the price of his bread ....

Brent.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
I was in a Bulk Barn awhile ago, a bin of wheat, just regular, ordinary wheat. Not organic. Not milled into flour. Label just said wheat. Can't remember the exact price per gram, but remember when I converted it to price per bushel, it was very close to $60!!!!!! One marking term that confuses me is "Naturally Sourced"??? Especially when used for that sea water crap you squirt up your nose. How the he!! do you Naturally Source sea water? Walk into the sea with a pail and scoop it up?
I saw that too a few months ago. They were calling it wheat berries. It is just straight unorganic wheat. My quick math got me to the same price/bu. I google wheat berries later and it seems to be the thing to put in a salad.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
You can go on e-bay and probably amazon and see all sorts of people selling "wheat berries" for many dollars a bushel. Do a search. It's unbelievable. We need to figure out ways of cashing in on people's ignorance. Or at least figure out how to numb our consciences enough to do that!

There's a very enterprising farmer somewhere south of Fort Mac that sells a lot of things to city folk. Recycles his strawberry bedding straw each spring into miniature straw bales that sell like hotcakes. Takes his trees that get cut down by beavers and sells them as "naturally-cut" firewood. Wish I could remember his name. He's an entertaining speaker.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Wesselingh View Post
I saw that too a few months ago. They were calling it wheat berries. It is just straight unorganic wheat. My quick math got me to the same price/bu. I google wheat berries later and it seems to be the thing to put in a salad.
There is no "The thing to put in salad". The only thing to put in salad is meat!

At the time time I thought "Fu#k people are stupid!" Then as I thought more about, who are the stupid ones? Guessing it's NOT the middle man.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Makes you wonder how much of that they sell in a year, for whoever is supplying them it has to be a pretty good cash cow if sales are high.
If you ever want some price shock look at what the price of conventional, high protein, clear/yellow hilum soybeans sell for on e-bay. I figured the range was anywhere from $60-90 US per bushel, meanwhile the local co-op will take them off of my hands for $9.50. (currently). Rather amazing that the price of popcorn is almost dirt cheap compared to the beans, and a lot more people eat popcorn than make soy milk or tofu.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
We are in the wrong business. But it is a market for group 1 & 2 resistant wild oats.My luck, the volunteer canola would take over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180223_204726[1].jpg (507.0 KB, 178 views)
torriem and kevlar like this.

Living the dream,......one bushel at a time.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
My wife has basically band me from grocery shopping with her. YAA, I mean boo!!!
Apparently I express my displeasure with how us farmers are getting screwed a little too vigorously.

chance2, hihi962, kevlar and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page