The Combine Forum

The Combine Forum (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/)
-   Specialty Crop Harvesting (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/16-specialty-crop-harvesting/)
-   -   Makes you say WHAT!? at the supermarket... (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/16-specialty-crop-harvesting/322426-makes-you-say-what-supermarket.html)

AnviL 03-16-2018 02:37 AM

Makes you say WHAT!? at the supermarket...

1 Attachment(s)
I was killing time with my wife today at the Italian store..... I don't know about others but we spray buckwheat out... it's a bad weed... and has anybody even tried to gmo this stuff!? Crazy!
Attachment 139322

Tell us about what makes you scratch your head at the local or speciality stores.

Littletimeoperator 03-16-2018 10:07 AM

Non-GMO labels have been popping up everywhere the last few years on things as nonsensical as bottled water. It's such a farce. Praying on people's fears isn't new, in fact it's one of the oldest form of marketing there is. It's just human nature and how people inherently react to "potential" threats. One would just hope that in today's world with all our technology where we can scientifically measure with unparralled accuracy what is good and safe for people to consume this fear would be disbanded but instead it's being perpetuated and embraced. Consumers have never felt so informed yet been so factually uninformed. At the end of the day critical thinking is dead and people simply aren't hungry enough.....

case 03-16-2018 10:52 AM

One person's headache is another person's money maker.

DDF 03-16-2018 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnviL (Post 3184874)
I was killing time with my wife today at the Italian store..... I don't know about others but we spray buckwheat out... it's a bad weed... and has anybody even tried to gmo this stuff!? Crazy!
Attachment 139322

Tell us about what makes you scratch your head at the local or speciality stores.

You spray out WILD buckwheat. Yes wild buckwheat is a terrible weed. This is tame or common buckwheat.

And yeah the non-GMO labelling thing is a crock! It just fuels the GMO "fear" in the public IMO.

SWFarmService 03-16-2018 11:39 AM

That is de-hulled, don't know what that costs but buckwheat is only around 20 cents a pound conventional, nearly double for organic.
It's all ridiculous, doesn't matter what you buy at the store, take a box of cereal once, look at the price vs the weight.

Don Boles 03-16-2018 11:49 AM

About 50 years ago dad grew tame buckwheat...twice at once, the first time and the last time.

jvw 03-16-2018 11:53 AM

It is against the law to label a product as non-gmo if there is not a GMO equivalent available. Someone needs to hold these companies and their predatory marketing tactics to task.

My wife loves buckwheat, the tame variety. It smells abhorrent, and I can't stand it.

AnviL 03-16-2018 01:20 PM

Ok. Well I didn't know there was tame buckwheat.. I had never looked into it, just hated it trying to grow in my field.
On the topic of labelling my wife saw "gluten free milk"....... now is this a thing, like do you have gluten free dairy cattle diets to get gluten free milk???

BoSoT 03-16-2018 05:15 PM

Take canary seed... Its a weed, we have to screen it out of wheat before it gets delivered. But they sell it for bird seed about 10 more than wheat.

NVW 03-16-2018 10:30 PM

50 years ago my FIL bought grain for Pioneer, he said they cleaned the Ergot out of cereals and sold it to the Pharmaceutical companies for a huge profit.