The Combine Forum

The Combine Forum (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/)
-   Specialty Crop Harvesting (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/16-specialty-crop-harvesting/)
-   -   InVigor L140 swath ability (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/16-specialty-crop-harvesting/323089-invigor-l140-swath-ability.html)

OilandAg 03-26-2018 03:51 PM

InVigor L140 swath ability

We have been growing a combination of InVigor 252 (swathing) and 140 (straight cutting) which has been working good however, we are considering going to all 140 as we do see a ~8% yield increase. We like the idea of swathing some to not delay harvest so we are wondering if 140 swaths as good as 252 or other varieties and if anyone has had any issues with swathing it?

Dan Vanderwell 03-26-2018 05:07 PM

I swathed some once due to a gate being left open and 200 yearlings flattening a field at the end of flowering. I was not looking forward to straight cutting it. Swathed it at 80% SCC and worked good. Could get aggressive with the reels and the only shelling was on the dividers.

SWMan 03-26-2018 07:42 PM

I have swathed lots of L140P at 100% seed color change, basically taking the green out of the stalks so combine would put through easier. It works great if you have a swather that can handle it. First year had a 1203 Case and it did OK, second year a MacDon and did not go well unless wet from dew or raining. Third year an AGCO WR9840 with cross auger on the header which worked great. I think if I had a cross auger on the Macdon it would have helped. Some pictures in this thread: https://www.thecombineforum.com/forum...oss-auger.html Those pictures actually show a bit of color in a dry hilltop that came up uneven, most stuff was dead ripe.

I would never swath at anything except 100% seed color change with a "P" variety, that would be a waste of yield potential. If you don't have time to swath it then just straight cut it.:smile: It stands better with lower seeding rates and has been a great variety for me.

drp 03-26-2018 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWMan (Post 3197129)

I would never swath at anything except 100% seed color change with a "L" variety, that would be a waste of yield potential. If you don't have time to swath it then just straight cut it.:smile: It stands better with lower seeding rates and has been a great variety for me.

You mean an Invigor P variety right? Some L varieties (non - P) do not swath as good at 100% SCC....

SWMan 03-26-2018 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drp (Post 3197313)
You mean an Invigor P variety right? Some L varieties (non - P) do not swath as good at 100% SCC....

Oh ya, good catch. Definitely a difference!

I will edit that post.

Windmillfarms 03-27-2018 12:09 AM

Everybody keeps on saying yield gain with the straightcut, but our 252 outyielded our l130 and l140 by a fair 10bpa, combining took longer on the straightcut but sample was bit cleaner (0.4 dockage difference).
Fuel use per acre was actually higher on the straightcut as well, plus not including the cost of the roundup and heat, we also harvested some not sprayed, woef plugged the combine few times.
Seen some big guys in our area growing lots of 252 and wondered why they swathed so much in harvest but after we were done i knew why. But other peoples experiences may be different, defenatly not selling the swather.

OilandAg 03-27-2018 12:16 AM

Thanks very much guys, this helps our planning. We have a Macdon without the cross auger and had heard of similar findings.

OilandAg 03-27-2018 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWMan (Post 3197369)
Oh ya, good catch. Definitely a difference!

I will edit that post.

Thanks for linking that thread and sharing your experiences, very helpful

SWMan 03-27-2018 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windmillfarms (Post 3197417)
Everybody keeps on saying yield gain with the straightcut, but our 252 outyielded our l130 and l140 by a fair 10bpa

Two years ago we got a hailstorm and the L140 out-yielded L252 by 50 BPA! That pays for a lot of seed! I did trials with 252 for a couple of years and didn't find it to be any different than L140 when they were both swathed at same stage, and those trials were on same field.

L252 is a good variety but it's just not shatter resistant.:frown:

Windmillfarms 03-27-2018 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWMan (Post 3197465)
Two years ago we got a hailstorm and the L140 out-yielded L252 by 50 BPA! That pays for a lot of seed! I did trials with 252 for a couple of years and didn't find it to be any different than L140 when they were both swathed at same stage, and those trials were on same field.

L252 is a good variety but it's just not shatter resistant.:frown:

Lol thats an extreme case but ill take it, l140 standabilty if junk, absolutely flat on the ground good yield but **** made slow harvest