InVigor L140 swath ability - The Combine Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
InVigor L140 swath ability

We have been growing a combination of InVigor 252 (swathing) and 140 (straight cutting) which has been working good however, we are considering going to all 140 as we do see a ~8% yield increase. We like the idea of swathing some to not delay harvest so we are wondering if 140 swaths as good as 252 or other varieties and if anyone has had any issues with swathing it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
I swathed some once due to a gate being left open and 200 yearlings flattening a field at the end of flowering. I was not looking forward to straight cutting it. Swathed it at 80% SCC and worked good. Could get aggressive with the reels and the only shelling was on the dividers.

Dan
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2846 Post(s)
I have swathed lots of L140P at 100% seed color change, basically taking the green out of the stalks so combine would put through easier. It works great if you have a swather that can handle it. First year had a 1203 Case and it did OK, second year a MacDon and did not go well unless wet from dew or raining. Third year an AGCO WR9840 with cross auger on the header which worked great. I think if I had a cross auger on the Macdon it would have helped. Some pictures in this thread: https://www.thecombineforum.com/forum...oss-auger.html Those pictures actually show a bit of color in a dry hilltop that came up uneven, most stuff was dead ripe.

I would never swath at anything except 100% seed color change with a "P" variety, that would be a waste of yield potential. If you don't have time to swath it then just straight cut it. It stands better with lower seeding rates and has been a great variety for me.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista

Last edited by SWMan; 03-26-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 10:45 PM
drp

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post

I would never swath at anything except 100% seed color change with a "L" variety, that would be a waste of yield potential. If you don't have time to swath it then just straight cut it. It stands better with lower seeding rates and has been a great variety for me.
You mean an Invigor P variety right? Some L varieties (non - P) do not swath as good at 100% SCC....
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drp View Post
You mean an Invigor P variety right? Some L varieties (non - P) do not swath as good at 100% SCC....
Oh ya, good catch. Definitely a difference!

I will edit that post.

Orlando A. Battista
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Everybody keeps on saying yield gain with the straightcut, but our 252 outyielded our l130 and l140 by a fair 10bpa, combining took longer on the straightcut but sample was bit cleaner (0.4 dockage difference).
Fuel use per acre was actually higher on the straightcut as well, plus not including the cost of the roundup and heat, we also harvested some not sprayed, woef plugged the combine few times.
Seen some big guys in our area growing lots of 252 and wondered why they swathed so much in harvest but after we were done i knew why. But other peoples experiences may be different, defenatly not selling the swather.
torriem likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks very much guys, this helps our planning. We have a Macdon without the cross auger and had heard of similar findings.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh ya, good catch. Definitely a difference!

I will edit that post.
Thanks for linking that thread and sharing your experiences, very helpful
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmillfarms View Post
Everybody keeps on saying yield gain with the straightcut, but our 252 outyielded our l130 and l140 by a fair 10bpa
Two years ago we got a hailstorm and the L140 out-yielded L252 by 50 BPA! That pays for a lot of seed! I did trials with 252 for a couple of years and didn't find it to be any different than L140 when they were both swathed at same stage, and those trials were on same field.

L252 is a good variety but it's just not shatter resistant.

Orlando A. Battista
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Quote:
Two years ago we got a hailstorm and the L140 out-yielded L252 by 50 BPA! That pays for a lot of seed! I did trials with 252 for a couple of years and didn't find it to be any different than L140 when they were both swathed at same stage, and those trials were on same field.

L252 is a good variety but it's just not shatter resistant.
Lol thats an extreme case but ill take it, l140 standabilty if junk, absolutely flat on the ground good yield but **** made slow harvest

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page