Small Acreage Harvest - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
You need a test plot combine. Perfect fit for you, less finding one, shipping, etc. Have you considered free ranging / rotational grazing the birds on the crop? They will clean it up nicely, just size the areas accordingly.

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
To bad on the corn. I was going to suggest a picker and just harvest it on the ear and grind it or just let them pick it off. The few times I've done this they seem to be super efficient at cleaning the ear...

Think I would also get a small tractor such as a kabota or some sort of old tractor like M farmall or maybe a ford from the same era. Super easy to maintain and parts galore.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Scratch Cooking your Poultry Feed a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Vickers View Post
Hi all, my first post so bare with me. I'm also new to the practice of producing grain so keep that in mind before you completely tear me down.

A little rundown of what I'm trying to do. I am building a small poultry farm on the Big Island of Hawai'i and because the price of importing feed is so expensive, I have begun to toy with the idea of processing my own. I have done some nutrition calculations to determine a complete diet for broilers and concluded that in my area both sorghum and oats should do fairly well. I'm looking to run around 5-8 acres of total production at one time. I understand that many of you will be scratching your head at why anyone would want to plant such small acreage but the cost to import, and the deterioration of quality of raw materials during transport really doesn't make sense either.

What has me going in circles right now is what type of harvesting equipment would be the most beneficial in a situation like mine? Some research on the internet has turned up a few mini combine rigs, mostly produced in India and China, but there is little information out there about people actually using them. There are also several brand names which all produce a very similar product.

My operation is very small and currently I run a BCS 853 walk behind tractor with multiple implements for most of my on farm tasks. One option is to purchase a sickle bar mower for the BCS and just lay out the crops and come back through and process everything by hand. I've seen some homesteaders take this route however I really would like to do things a little more efficiently.

Does anyone have anything that might help me out? Are there any dealerships in the lower 48 that might be able to provide some information?

Thanks.

Dear Brad, Thanks for taking the time to reach out! I am excited and enthused about your endeavour to raise poultry, grow your own feed and just generally be resourceful. I just shared this post with some poultry farmers in Kenya who have similar issues with feed prices and wanting to start a successful poultry farm.

The Kenyan farmers in question similarly dealing with low acreage but every little bit counts. Producing your own feed will definitely help. Cultivation on a small scale needs equipment that can multi task and work well in small spaces. A great US company that has crossed my radar is Ventrac/Tilmor which targets farmers like you. A great youtube video by a very nifty owner of a sub-compact John Deere is worth a look: Tractor Time with Tim

I would be delighted to learn more about your project - please PM and I will share my email.

Warm regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page