Small Acreage Harvest - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Small Acreage Harvest

Hi all, my first post so bare with me. I'm also new to the practice of producing grain so keep that in mind before you completely tear me down.

A little rundown of what I'm trying to do. I am building a small poultry farm on the Big Island of Hawai'i and because the price of importing feed is so expensive, I have begun to toy with the idea of processing my own. I have done some nutrition calculations to determine a complete diet for broilers and concluded that in my area both sorghum and oats should do fairly well. I'm looking to run around 5-8 acres of total production at one time. I understand that many of you will be scratching your head at why anyone would want to plant such small acreage but the cost to import, and the deterioration of quality of raw materials during transport really doesn't make sense either.

What has me going in circles right now is what type of harvesting equipment would be the most beneficial in a situation like mine? Some research on the internet has turned up a few mini combine rigs, mostly produced in India and China, but there is little information out there about people actually using them. There are also several brand names which all produce a very similar product.

My operation is very small and currently I run a BCS 853 walk behind tractor with multiple implements for most of my on farm tasks. One option is to purchase a sickle bar mower for the BCS and just lay out the crops and come back through and process everything by hand. I've seen some homesteaders take this route however I really would like to do things a little more efficiently.

Does anyone have anything that might help me out? Are there any dealerships in the lower 48 that might be able to provide some information?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
What would it cost to ship an antique pull-type or sp combine?

I'm have decent mechanical skills so maybe that wouldn't be your thing but alot of them old rigs look pretty simple and can be repaired with fairly common parts...

I really dont think you would wanna Combine 8 acres walking behind something 3ft wide. Your time has to be worth somthing..

Also can you grow corn there?

SWFarmService likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Barn
I think 361turbo is probably on the right track, look at importing an old combine.
Wouldn't corn be a better option for you to grow there? Sure more expensive than oats and sorghum but will produce more bushels too. You can definitely grow it with your climate year round, the seed companies do it with parent seed all the time.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Wonder if you could ship a cylindar + concave from an old massey 92 or 510, something not too big.

Weld it up to something you could putter along with. For chickens it's probably not all that important that you separate the chaff out of the grain.

Cut things with the BCS, thrash it with this home made contraption and not have a lot invested.

One idea..
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 361turbo View Post
What would it cost to ship an antique pull-type or sp combine?

I'm have decent mechanical skills so maybe that wouldn't be your thing but alot of them old rigs look pretty simple and can be repaired with fairly common parts...

I really dont think you would wanna Combine 8 acres walking behind something 3ft wide. Your time has to be worth somthing..

Also can you grow corn there?
Exactly what I was thinking, like a 55 or 4400 JD or super 92, even maybe a F or G gleaner. Light enough a guy could maybe get it across the pond reasonably.

God Bless America
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Whatever you get research parts availability because that will be the weak link. DHL can pretty much get a part anywhere in the world in a timely fashion but they are expensive for that service. Just keep that in mind. You may want to look at ALI BABA website for ideas on what you could do on a small scale like that.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
I think driving to the store would be simpler. A cereal or grain grown in the tropics will be instantly diseased.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you all for your replies. I will definitely look to see what I might do about importing an older model machine. I have basic welding and decent mechanical skills so that is a definite possibility. I know someone who is working on putting together a shipping container and may have some additional space available at a decent rate. I will look into this for sure.

Corn is definitely an option, and something I have considered and will ultimately try. The problem with corn comes to marketing not only the birds but any excess production feed. The granola types out this way prefer products that do not contain soy or corn. They are willing to pay a premium for the hassle, a 50lb bag of non-GMO feed sells here for close to $25. I was paying $15 for the same thing in Ohio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz View Post
I think driving to the store would be simpler. A cereal or grain grown in the tropics will be instantly diseased.
There have been several studies done with growing grain on the Big Island. Where I am we average 60-70" of rainfall each year so it should be possible to grow cereals and grain. I don't know anyone doing it, and I do plan on doing a small trial run soon prior to scaling up and investing in any type of equipment. We will see...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Out of curiosity, what part of the island are you from?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
With your climate would the grains ever dry out enough to get harvested? With 70 inches of rain a year sprouting could be a serious issue if you were to lay it down in a swath. would it work to harvest the entire plant with mostly mature grain attached, haul that to the birds and let them do the harvesting? I have thrown armfulls of ripe wheat in with the chickens and they have it all harvested pretty quickly. If you are planning on storing the grain you might need some form of balage or silage.

It might be a lot easier and cheaper to buy a sea can or two of whatever you need in mini-bulks and have it shipped in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page