Geringhoff in Sunflowers - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Geringhoff in Sunflowers

We have a 8 row Geringhoff RotaDisk header that we want to use this fall for sunflowers. The manual says you can get some blocks to go on the gathering chains for sunnies.....does anyone know if this is necessary?? We grew 150ac of oils this year for the first time and harvest is sneaking up on us!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 02:58 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
I wonder what they mean by blocks?

I think you would need a plate to cover up the discs with a knife on it to cut them off. Otherwise it's just going to shell like mad and try to pull the head through the discs.
I'm curious and will look to see what they have compared to others.

God Bless America
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 03:17 AM

Ok, pulled this pic from the website, you could probably get by without the blocks but depending on the size of your flowers you may want them, even if you just did one chain per row.

But either way it will not work without the plate, I'd be curious the price of them as I have often thought about making a set like drago uses, 2 flat plates, one with nuts welded to it and the other to bolt to it with a sickle section welded to the front.
I think the drago kit is like 80 USD per row.

Cant seem to load pics anymore but here is the link to the website, scroll down far enough and you will find it.

https://ww2.geringhoff.com/products/sunflower/

God Bless America

Last edited by SWFarmService; 09-16-2018 at 03:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks.....i had been looking at that. I guess I will see what I can get ordered up.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 05:01 PM

First time around sunnies?

God Bless America
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
First time around sunnies?
Yep...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 01:46 AM

At least you only have a small amount of them to start out, there is a few learning experiences with them things but since I'm a really nice guy I'll help you out.

There is radiator air scoops available for a few newer combines but with the amount you have you should be fine.
First things first with sunnies, fires are not just a potential problem, your combine will at some point light on fire if your not careful, even being careful its inevitable.

The best way to reduce fires is to cut above 12 moisture, often easier said than done.
But this will also help keep your sample clean.
Try by all means cutting below 60°F and try to avoid completely still weather.
When conditions get dusty watch your engine compartment closely, like every hopper full and when stuff starts sticking to the engine blow the engine off, clean radiator and go again.

Find a way to cover a large chunk of your separating area, they thrash out very easily but if it gets warm the heads will bust up into little pieces and make a mess of your sample. If it's good and tuff witch for me it rarely ever is when I harvest them (my kinda luck) the head will come out of the back of the combine in one piece.

Cut high.

One of the best things to put out a smoldering combine is with a hand pump sprayer.
If your in a pinch and your out if water but still got gas in your air compressor clean as much of the combine as possible before tackling the smolder so when you blow the smolder off the combine it dont light up everything along the way.

Fires are NOT caused by static electricity, it's the extremely flammable dust traveling through the radiator and sticking to exhaust, igniting and blowing wherever and them little embers end up in strange places especially when they end up in pulleys and get flung everywhere.
Keep your radiator very clean and when your done wash the combine well because the oily dust doesn't just stop there and just cause your done with flowers doesn't mean your out of the woods.

Start with a clean combine with no oil leaks and keep it clean and be paranoid! You will do well than!

Dont be afraid to ask questions.

God Bless America
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 01:53 AM

Oh, before I forget, all them individual shields to cover this and that on your combine need to be left in the shop. Combines should not be so shy, make it somewhat naked like back when they built combines the when the operator stuck his arm in a chain while running was his fault and not the manufacturers so when you have problems your not yanking shields everywhere
Blow off the combine when done for the day, guy here a couple years ago shut down his combine down and left the field to get a call hours later his combine and graincart tractor parked next to it was on fire.

God Bless America
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the fire info. We have a big diesel air compressor and a water truck with a fire nozzle on it so we should be prepared. Also have a water extinguisher on combine and going to put one on the grain cart also. I see a ad for a JD 853 all crop locally for a good price so I will look into that tomorrow.....might be better than a sunnie update for the Geringhoff.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendalwpg View Post
Thanks for the fire info. We have a big diesel air compressor and a water truck with a fire nozzle on it so we should be prepared. Also have a water extinguisher on combine and going to put one on the grain cart also. I see a ad for a JD 853 all crop locally for a good price so I will look into that tomorrow.....might be better than a sunnie update for the Geringhoff.
The Deere I think would be the best option.
If you look online and see videos of guys with the corn head conversion kits the sunflowers they are cutting look terrible.
I really think the corn head will fall short on the auger capacity in good sunflowers.

An 853 is a good header and an 853A is a much better rig, only real big difference is the shields though.
They are not cheap to rebuild but they are very reliable when they are well adjusted and in good shape. I have spent a 1000$ a row to rebuild a couple of them but they just run after that.
Sounds like a lot of money but the only other head that can compare IMO is a fantini and maybe a sunmaster but they have their short falls too.
And we all know what they get for them two options! Too friggin much! LoL!

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page