• 2 Post By marshall
  • 3 Post By marshall
  • 1 Post By SWFarmService

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Bubble up auger "tar" coated in sunflowers

Just got into the sunflowers.....now not in the flowers.

The bubble up auger on the combine is coated in a tar like substance to the point it is not able to keep up with the combine. These are oil sunflowers so likely there is oil from the sunflowers causing this.

There are no obstructions in the auger to create a press like environment to expel the oil from the seed. The last crop through was flax and the auger was cleaned out before sunflowers were started. The combine sat in the heated shop until it went out to work so no moisture got into it.

The combine is a TR96 so the tolerances are not exactly the same as they were the day it came out of the factory.

An uncleaned bushel weight test came back at 33lbs, not sure if that makes any difference or not. Moisture is 10.8.

I am not a sunflower rookie but not the most experienced sunflower guy on the planet. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this issue? Pulling the auger every 20 acres does not excite me even a little bit so anything is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
You got some tar like material on the auger it comes from the back of the heads and is like pine tar pitch form spruce wood you see the odd time . It is water soluble but wouldn't really take the car wash out to try to remove it as it would take a lot of washing to get rid of it even with hot water . . I would suggest trying to thrash the sunnies either when it is drier out or a lot colder so the pitch is brittle .

8700 and lander2 like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:09 PM

Another suggestion would be to empty the hopper before it gets too far over the bubble up auger .
BrianTee, 8700 and lander2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

Sunflowers always leave a coating of crap on stuff but this year is unreal. I have been sir dumps a lot when the weather has cooperated to keep the auger functional but it is still coating up quickly. I have wondered about some kind of plastic sleeve in there but by the time that project is done it might be easier to just unplug it regularly. I have never seen sunflowers this oily. On the upside the seeds do not really seem to be taking on much moisture in the rain and fog. I will have to keep reminding myself of this when I am unplugging it over and over again.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2667 Post(s)
It's likely got something to do with it being wet but I would try to slow the rotor speed as much as possible to keep some of that in the plant material.
I usually dont have much at all build up in the combine, I run into problems hauling away from the bin. Lesson to be learned when it does that on the bin auger do not let the auger run empty. Shut it off full and when your done completely leave the augers run empty and even run a couple gallons of diesel fuel through or when it sits that cake will fall off or if the auger rattles empty and will plug harder than ****

There is good news, these problems have never happened to me with an oil content below 48%, only above so you might be expecting a premium.
lander2 likes this.

God Bless America
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

I had the same thought about the rotor, it is as slow as it can possibly go right now. I have the fan up as far as it can go without throwing too much over. It may have been worse before I got the fan speed all the way up or it could just be wishful thinking on my part.

I will remember the part about the auger, thanks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lander2 View Post
I had the same thought about the rotor, it is as slow as it can possibly go right now. I have the fan up as far as it can go without throwing too much over. It may have been worse before I got the fan speed all the way up or it could just be wishful thinking on my part.

I will remember the part about the auger, thanks.
I can remember when doing sunnies a while back , I had dropped the stone trap for the night and then went thrashing the next day and couldn't figure why there wasn't anything going into the hopper -- be damned if I forgot the door . It is amazing how much gets thrashed out by the feeder chain as there wasn't too much in the head parts on the ground but LOTS of seeds .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page