rear axle suspension in the next 8R series? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rear axle suspension in the next 8R series?

Hi, guys, I saw a picture about a rear axle suspension in a deere 8000 series, one year ago...

someone told me that this is the "pegasus" project...

and I was specting that the new 8R series will have this this option..but obviously not...

( in fact, I was specting that this series could have a self leveling seat for being plane when we are plouging for example)

this project ...(pegasus) is it true?

Someone heard anythig about this?

(sorry, I have a photo about this rear axle suspension..including the pieces... but its impossivel for me to upload at the moment..)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Re: rear axle suspension in the next 8R series?

no idea but i'm keen to see that pic

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 04:51 AM

Deere has had Rear ILS ready to go into production for several years now, but the demand has not yet justified the cost. There was an 8520 with Rear ILS on display at a European Farm Show a few years ago (Agritechnica?). I have pictures somwhere I can find if you want. Basically a heavier version of front ILS with outboard planetaries on the end of the arms, and then a short R&P axle for the wheels to mount on.

-- AH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Hi Again:

here the links were you can see the photos...

http://www.farmphoto.com/thread.aspx?mid=109506

Shade of green...thanks a lot.

and there any information about a cabine or a seat self leveling...for example if you are plouging ?

this cabine or seat could reduce the fatige of the operators...
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)

Great for operators, very hard on the equipment. Operators drive to some level of discomfort. If you increase the speed of the level of discomfort to the operator, the equipment that is not cushioned gets a bigger beating. Then there is another round of making the equipent more robust.

Anyone who has worked in heavy equipment has seen it. Nobody beat a Cat to death when he was setting on that thinly padded bench seat. Give the operator an air seat and stuff starts breaking.

I love comfort as much as anyone. But there is a hidden side of insulating the operator from his surroundings that also must be addressed.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 11:47 AM

Thanks for those pics, they are different from the ones I first saw years ago (more revealling!) Do you know of any more?
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)

Bent has a point here. I have no problem with this new stuff. I dreamed a kid and asked my dad why couldn't we have tractors with suspension, but the fundamental question, what will be the long term maintenance and resale on stuff that requires, a lot of upkeep and expensive rebuilds down the road. Meaning will it eventually be used up to the point where it will have no value, because its fixes outweigh its resale value.

I always see a trade off with stuff, and usually that trade off comes with much more complexity, thus problems.

I'm not asking for an umbrella and non-sync trannies, or other grim realities of the past, but sometimes you gotta ask yourself, Why?

Maybe I'm offbase here. If it works and I'm wrong, then thats cool for me.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 01:27 PM

This suspension might have been sold in France for a few months. At least it was pre serial tractors that customers could buy. A few were running in the country, but regarding the poor sale volume, Deere decided to retire it from the option list. They decided too to replace customer's suspended axles by rigid ones, since they didn't want to start the big work of dealer training, parts management, repairs...

I think they could have sold some in Europe, front suspension was already common, in NA it was completely different. Farmers are just discovering front suspension, it was just too early for the rear one!

Quote:I love comfort as much as anyone. But there is a hidden side of insulating the operator from his surroundings that also must be addressed.

That is true, you then have to put a real consciencious operator behind the wheel not to destroy all your equipments.

But for mounted implements the design was a beast. All the tractor was suspended, which meant very low non-suspended wheight. The hitch and drawbar were suspended, so for fully mounted equipments, a complete protection. For towed ones, it was like a premium tongue suspension!

Compared to the JCB fastrac, it was for me a far better design. On the JCB, the hitch and drawbar aren't suspended, it's more non-suspended wheight, and no tool protection.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

That is true, you then have to put a real consciencious operator behind the wheel not to destroy all your equipments.

But for mounted implements the design was a beast. All the tractor was suspended, which meant very low non-suspended wheight. The hitch and drawbar were suspended, so for fully mounted equipments, a complete protection. For towed ones, it was like a premium tongue suspension!

Compared to the JCB fastrac, it was for me a far better design. On the JCB, the hitch and drawbar aren't suspended, it's more non-suspended wheight, and no tool protection.

New Holland also had a prototype T8000 with rear suspension at Agritechnica in 2007. Suprinsingly there is no picture to be found of the suspension system online. Although I remember seeing one close up which showed that it looked pretty similar to Deere's.

Concerning Deere's Quad Wheel Suspension (QWS) 8000 series tractors, I was told by someone who drove one (so very close to Deere) that only 8-9 machines were made. The minimum required to enter a "commercial product" for Agritechnica medals. It was obviously a major development project at Deere. Ride was a dream, just like a Fastrac. But the cost must have been prohibitive, and we can speculate on technical difficulties and reliability problems too. In the end Deere decided to mothball the QWS project and tractors returned to the factory for storage and dismantlement.

Nick
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i'm possive it's very nice for the driver. but like said: not for the equipment behind! in stead of the jcb, the machinery in the hitch will be smooth suspended as well, but how many trailed equipment is designed for >20 mph?? The europe tri-axle trailers may be. Anyone knows?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page