steiger a/c??? - Page 2 - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
I finally got my tiger out in the field, took it out on an 85 degree day and I am less than satisfied with the a/c
I don't know what all is wrong with it but I'm thinking its going in the trashcan.

When I charged the system after installing a larger condenser for a 9682? Versatile/New Holland I cant seem to keep the low side pressure down.
While charging at 85 degrees my low side was running around 40 psi while the high side was hanging around 120 psi.
So I definitely am keeping the condenser cooled off, maybe my expansion valve is junk or the pump ain't got it.

To me the sanden that is on it looks small for some reason? Maybe just cause is mounted to such a large engine, I don't know.

I have cleaned the evaporator and have a new air filter on it. The airflow is piss poor at best but even with the poor airflow I'm only pulling 50ish degree temps at the left vent.

So I already have a larger condenser and I see ap air has a upgraded fan to install in it.

Has anyone done any other upgrades? Anyone satisfied with thier a/c systems in a series 3?

I am really thinking of putting a hvac system in the drop panel where the radio is and move the radio elsewhere.

Any ideas or suggestions? Big cab, lot of glass, no good ideas for an air intake yet.
Well I assume you pulled all the air out with a vacuum pump, and your using 134a and not the rattle can refrigerant.
Does your system have a sight glass on the reciever/dryer?
[Charge until bubbles dissappear]
If I remember correctly when I worked for Bobcat, when charging AC during a hot day [30c] the low side would end up around 50 and high side would be around 200....

I would stick a temp gauge in a vent, fan on high, RPM bumped up a bit. When getting close add little by little with a minute or two for pump to cycle between until the temp hit its lowest and then came up a degree or two.... then you know system is FULL.
with the bobcat systems I could usually get low single digit temps at the vent.

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnviL View Post
Well I assume you pulled all the air out with a vacuum pump, and your using 134a and not the rattle can refrigerant.
Does your system have a sight glass on the reciever/dryer?
[Charge until bubbles dissappear]
If I remember correctly when I worked for Bobcat, when charging AC during a hot day [30c] the low side would end up around 50 and high side would be around 200....

I would stick a temp gauge in a vent, fan on high, RPM bumped up a bit. When getting close add little by little with a minute or two for pump to cycle between until the temp hit its lowest and then came up a degree or two.... then you know system is FULL.
with the bobcat systems I could usually get low single digit temps at the vent.
50 on the low side is rather high, think of it this way, under low pressure refrigerant boils, at 50 psi it's pretty much under enough pressure that it wont boil. And when it don't boil it dont get cold.

I could have continued to add but my low side pressure was going to continue to climb as the high side was pretty stagnant between 25 all the way up to 40 on the low side.

God Bless America
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynas View Post
I would give my Steiger A/C about a 7.5/10. I have a Sanden on all my tractors and they are decent units.
When everything is working as it should on those factory A/C systems they are okay, not brilliant by today's standards, but not too bad either.
A couple of things to check:
Check that your air delivery tubes are attached properly as they sometimes work their way loose or may come completely off.
There are two fans in those IIRC. One each side. Sometimes fan motor relays will trip then restart repeatedly, causing intermittent airflow, compromising the cooling.
Mine only has a single fan, ap air makes a kit that puts in 2 with would definitely help because everything about it is very restricted from the intake to the manifold under the dash.
I'm going to recover it and put a new expansion valve in it to hopefully get me through the season.

Been researching for a while today and found some pretty cool components to get this thing an 11 out of 10 for not terrible money, even with electronic temp control.
Probably have 5 grand stuck into it but that would include building a headliner to accommodate vents all of the way around with a recuirculating and fresh air intake.

I'll have to get this done quickly because the sand blaster is coming towards the end of June

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
I was just saying what worked for me... I probably charged a hundred Bobcats and always got the coldest vent temp at 50 ish low side...
Just thought it would be worth a try, since you wanna recover it anyways...

I assume no sight glass??

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnviL View Post
I was just saying what worked for me... I probably charged a hundred Bobcats and always got the coldest vent temp at 50 ish low side...
Just thought it would be worth a try, since you wanna recover it anyways...

I assume no sight glass??
No sight glass, just a water indicator.
I'm thinking your guage was off cause 50 is really high, not saying your wrong but static pressure in a keg is around 65 psi at room temp.
Guages get dropped and dont read accurate. I finally got myself a set of digital mastercool's a few years ago, absolutely love them, worth the money. I am dead on everytime now on performance.

My situation is got to be the expansion valve I put in because even if this pump is small like it looks to me (God knows what he may have scrounged up to replace it) I should still be able to get lower cold side pressures.

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page