Re: tractor vs self propelled sprayer? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Re: tractor vs self propelled sprayer?

The agco or case/New holland with a cab suspension and front axle suspension and cvt. We have a NH t7040 with cab suspension it would be nice for spraying if a guy had to. I still would not give up my high clearance sprayer though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You can get the fanciest tractor with all the suspension you want but they still don't compare to a self propelled rig. People around here are starting to realize that now and self propelled sprayers are poping up all over when 6 years ago there weren't any.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 01:01 AM

Its starting to seem like your comparing pull-type combines to self-propelled. other then they both do the same thing at the end of the day. really no comparisms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 07:18 AM

I agree 100%. You never saw a self propelled around here until 5 years ago including on our farm. We were spraying with two 90' pull-type two years ago and thought we were getting along well. Our local dealership had a left over '06 Case 4410 they gave us a deal on so we jumped on it. We do more acres with the 4410 than we could with the two pull-type. There is no comparison I wish we would have switched alot sooner. And there is no tractor that will run 20 mph in a field with you still in the seat. All I can say is watch for tile holes!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I know the topair sprayers that ride on tracks seem to ride pretty well and are stable. I don't know anyone pulling them at 20mph though.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Last year I pulled our 1,250 gallon pull type sprayer with 90' booms behind our Cat 55 wide gauge tractor and I really liked it. Post spraying corn I could spray at 12-13 mph and on pre-emerge stuff I could run up to 16 mph which is where I maxed out the tips. I think an MT765 is going to ride almost as good as a self propelled sprayer and in alot of conditions it will have a smoother ride. We were really wet last spring and with 18.4x38 radials on our sprayer behind the Cat I was spraying in mud where a self propelled sprayer couldn't have gone and in the worst places I was only leaving 3-4" deep ruts. With our field sizes my ground speed is very close to what the self propelled sprayers are running but we have a tractor that can be used year around and the pull type sprayer has almost zero maintance or repair costs.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)

I spray with a Buhler 2180 FWA and a 90' Flexi-coil 67XL suspended boom. I max my tips out at 14.5 mph, so thats as fast as I can go.

If I can keep my speed around 12 mph average, I can blow off 130 acres an hour. So on a typical 12 hours of spraying (not including filling or transport time) I can do 1500 acres/day. In order to do this however takes preperation, coordination and coffee. And of course thundershowers, breakdowns, wind can take its toll.

I push a pull type sprayer (ours anyways) to the max. We farm 9000 acres and most guys around here that size have HC sprayers, but they don't seem to get anymore done then I do in a day.

And yes a HC sprayer would be nice but I have no requirement for 5 feet of clearance nor do I need one more engine to maintain. My next sprayer will be a 130' 1200 gallon suspended boom. It may not be the fanciest rig in the field but its low cost and does the job, and in the end that should be every farmers final goal, after all we are in this for the money. I am a happy "poor mans high clearance" owner.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 12:23 PM

More custom work in self propelled if you get done early.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)

What kind of tips do you use and at what pressure?

What is your speed range with these (high to low).

Thanks for the info in advance.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How did the cat go cornering? Did it screw up the crop a lot?

In wet conditions a 3pt linkage boom on a cat sounds good, just wondering about crop damage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page